none
WSUS 2019 Update Problem. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,
    I have WSUS set up on Windows Server 2019 and have just testing it on client which is Windows Server 2012 R2. I have approved all the superseding needed updates and most of them got installed on the client. But there are few updates which are showing as needed in WSUS Server console but the client is showing no updates are available in windows update. Have run wuauclt /detectnow /reportnow on client and it is reporting under last status report in WSUS. Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:24 PM

Answers

• My point is if the client is showing up to date and reporting in WSUS then how come the updates are still showing as needed in WSUS console, or is it the weird behavior of the WSUS. Is it okay to decline them even if they are showing as needed. Thanks...

Give it time.
    If these updates marked "Needed" have been installed on the client, please wait and wait. Normally, this will change after the client completes the full status report.

You can also check if the client has completed a status report in the near future in the computer view of the WSUS console.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:47 AM

All replies

• I have approved all the superseding needed updates and most of them got installed on the client.

If the update you mentioned in the question that was not installed is replaced, it may not be installed.
    Consider adding the "Supersedence" column to the update view of the WSUS console and sorting by this attribute. Please update its status to the following types of updates:

•   Blue square in the middle: this update has been superseded by another update and superseded another update as well.
    •   Blue square in the right below corner: this update has been superseded by another update.

Through the above operations, those that have been replaced can be temporarily removed from the needed list.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

The updates I approved were superseding (with no icon in Supersedence column) and the one's with blue icon on top. My point is if the client is showing up to date and reporting in WSUS then how come the updates are still showing as needed in WSUS console, or is it the weird behaviour of the WSUS. Is it okay to decline them even if they are showing as needed. Thanks...

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:42 AM
  • My point is if the client is showing up to date and reporting in WSUS then how come the updates are still showing as needed in WSUS console, or is it the weird behavior of the WSUS. Is it okay to decline them even if they are showing as needed. Thanks...

Give it time.
    If these updates marked "Needed" have been installed on the client, please wait and wait. Normally, this will change after the client completes the full status report.

You can also check if the client has completed a status report in the near future in the computer view of the WSUS console.

Regards,
    Yic

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:47 AM
  • Ok will wait and see if the needed status goes away. Thanks.
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Here is a summary about this thread:

• Issue Symptom
      All required updates have been approved by WSUS, but have not been reported after client installation.

• Cause
      The client did not complete the report and needs to wait for the process to complete.

• Solution
      It is recommended to first delineate the updates that have been replaced in order to reduce the amount of approval for updates. Then wait patiently for the client to complete its own status report.

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:09 AM