none
EMET 5.5 EAF Performance RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am noticing performance issues with the EAF mitigation in the EMET 5.5 Beta and the 5.5 Final releases. Examples are as follows:

• Google Chrome Extensions and Apps crash often with EAF enabled
    • Google Chrome seems to run slower with EAF enabled
    • Microsoft Office and other applications launch slower with EAF enabled; Excel takes 13 seconds to open with EAF enabled, but only takes 1 second with EAF disabled.
    • Other affected applications are Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat, etc.

This has been verified on a Windows 8.1 system.  Other Windows versions are being tested against.  Can this mitigation be fixed?

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:24 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 SP1 x32. EMET 5.5 Final releases. 

The inclusion of EAF/EAF+  terribly slow as the launch and operation of applications, in particular, is very evident in the browser. I have to turn off almost all applications, these parameters as unbearable work.
    Version 5.2 also has no easy, but 5.5 is terrible to slow application performance. After a version 4 of the performance degradation has become noticeably stronger. I'm not talking about the fact that many applications of steel crash without journal entries in EMET.
    Dear developers! You went the wrong way, it's not protection, because it is necessary to remove quickly, although I use EMET to the second version.

• Edited by Oleg Divov Saturday, February 6, 2016 8:59 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 3:22 PM
  • EAF is horribly slow on Windows 8.1. It makes Outlook slow and Firefox almost unbearable. Each of these applications has an under 2 second startup time with it disabled, and 30+ seconds with EAF enabled. I hope this can be fixed.
    Monday, February 8, 2016 8:02 PM
  • Firefox 45.0b3 works fine for me on Windows 8.1 (x64) even with EAF enabled, but I can confirm serious lags in Thunderbird 38.5.1 and Notepad++ v6.8.8 unless EAF is disabled. There were no such problems with EMET 5.2.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:43 PM
  • This release to revoke is necessary. It's not even a beta version.
    I have in addition to reducing application performance with EAF enabled, IE 11 that is configured using Recommended Software.xml about half of the runs crash, and this is one of the main elements of the system.  Almost all applications had to disable EAF/EAF+.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:05 PM
  • Hi. Have EMET 5.5 deployed on my Windows 10 Workstation. I used the wizard, as I am deploying only on my laptop. I notice that, even with maximum protection selected, on Win 10, EAF is not problematic EAF + defaults to on only for internet explorer (which I only use in emergencies), and Adobe products. I just downloaded Java 8 version 74 in 32 bit for my Firefox browser, and 64 bit for my system, and I always manually update the application menu by adding the updated apps, and then deleting the older ones. EMET will not allow duplication, so though a little tedious, the process leaves me with some self-assurance. I will update when I add the rest of Win 10 productivity, and my Firefox 44.0.1.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:50 AM
  • Wow, I can confirm - this was driving me crazy.  I have Windows 8.1, with FiOS 50/50.  Some things seemed slower, so I ran a speedtest.net test and my mormal 56/62 results came up as 10.9/19.  After a lot of trouble including chatting with Verizon, I narrowed it down to the flash plugins (Chrome + IE11) as beta.speedtest.net worked fine.  I removed EMET5.5 and got back to expected results.  Reinstalled and disabled EAF and EAF+, both IE11 and Chrome performance are in the expected (55+u/d) range.  For whatever is going on, EAF/EAF+ very much impact performance on Windows 8.1.  While for me any little bit of security for flash is worth the performance cost, people with actual flash business/entertainment requirements might not think it's worth the tradeoff.
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:53 PM
  • I'm in shock, and the like have not seen. This version periodically kills Notepad.exe when EAF/EAF+, when I try to save the document as "Save as". Developers are strongly overdone. What kind of protection if it begins to disable your items due too poor performance, because of its incorrect work. I swear, they're going to demolish 5.5 version and will go on the 4 version, though it is less safe, although this as yet to see, I did not disable.
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 9:30 PM
  • I am seeing the same issues on 8.1.  Performance of Thunderbird and Firefox is terrible with EAF enabled.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:00 PM
  • I have the same issue here. But Windows 10 doesn't seem to be affected, only Windows 8.1.

Acrobat switches randomly to english language when EAF is enabled
    and searching in Google Maps doesn't work anymore.

Friday, February 19, 2016 12:29 PM
  • Firefox 45.0b3 works fine for me on Windows 8.1 (x64) even with EAF enabled, but I can confirm serious lags in Thunderbird 38.5.1 and Notepad++ v6.8.8 unless EAF is disabled. There were no such problems with EMET 5.2.

Had no problems with EMET 5.2 on Windows 8.1 (x64).

Update to EMET 5.5 made Firefox, Thunderbird or Notepad++ with EAF(+) unusable slow.

I got curious and updated to Firefox 64bit version. Surprise, Firefox (x64) workes fine with EAF and EAF+.

Saturday, February 27, 2016 11:24 PM
  • I just upgraded from EMET 5.2 to EMET 5.5 late last Friday on my Core i7 Dell XPS 12 Windows 8.1 x64 system at work.  I'm using the recommended settings in the wizard and imported the Recommended Software.xml and Popular Software.xml files.

There has been a massive degredation in performance for some of my applicaitons from EMET 5.2 to 5.5.  It has made Firefox and Adobe Reader unbearably slow.

It took over 30 seconds for a simple one-page PDF to open in Adobe Reader 11.0.14 and over 5 minutes for it to print (I'm not joking).  I turned off EAF for AcroRd32.exe and this greatly sped up the opening of the program but it still prints extremely slowly.

Firefox is just sluggish to do everything.  Typing, opening new tabs, switching tabs, scrolling, opening menus, everything is delayed and slow.  If I turn off EAF+, the result is the same.  If I also turn off EAF, the performance of Firefox is vastly improved.

Internet Explorer 11 and Outlook 2013 seem to be fine.  I haven't had the chance to try anything else yet.

My computer is a powerhouse compared to other computers in the organization.  I can't imagine deploying EMET 5.5 in this state.  We might as well just close the organization because no one would be able to get anything done.

I'm also finding printing anything to be extraordinarily slow. My printer driver also seems to have forgotten my Xerox Fiery Secure Print settings and does not allow me to reset them. I had none of these problems with EMET 5.2.

Monday, March 14, 2016 12:55 PM
  • I just wanted to provide an update.  Yesterday, I erased my same Dell XPS computer and installed Windows 10 Enterprise 1511.  I went ahead and put all my programs back on, including Firefox and EMET 5.5.

The performance is night-and-day different.  It just seems like a normal computer.

It seems that EMET 5.5's mitigations may be more tuned for Windows 10 than 8.1.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 12:59 PM
  • It seems that EMET 5.5's mitigations may be more tuned for Windows 10 than 8.1.

My opinion is that it is more logical to carry out the good work and protection against security vulnerabilities in previous versions of Windows than the modern system, which is already incorporated newer and better security features.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:56 PM
  • It seems that EMET 5.5's mitigations may be more tuned for Windows 10 than 8.1.

My opinion is that it is more logical to carry out the good work and protection against security vulnerabilities in previous versions of Windows than the modern system, which is already incorporated newer and better security features.

You won't get an argument from me!  I'd love to be able to deploy EMET 5.5 to our Windows 7 and 8.1 machines, which is 99.9% of our environment today, but I can't do that in its current state.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:37 PM
  • but I can't do that in its current state.
    I wanted to say in my previous post.
    It is necessary to make a reliable protection against vulnerability and does not affect system performance for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, which are more in need of protection than Windows 10. But the developers focused only on Windows 10.

• Edited by Oleg Divov Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:49 PM
  • EAF performance issues are still there in EMET 5.52, despite the EMET 5.52 release notes stating that an application hang problem with EAF has been fixed. 

I tested on Firefox 58.0.1,Chrome 64, and I.E. 11 with Jan. 2018 cumulative update.  With EAF on/EAF+ off, then with EAF off/EAF+ off.

With EAF on, browser loads slowly, sites load slowly, even commands to start new tabs are slow.  Just navigating menus and entering URL's are slow. With EAF off, no such problems.

EAF also slows down other applications, such as Irfanview, Thunderbird, and SumatraPDF.  I've unchecked EAF from everything on the applications list.  No amount of security is worth this.

I tested on a i3-4030U, 4GB ram, Win 7 64-bit, and a Pentium 4 2.4ghz HT, 4GB ram, Win 7 32-bit.  Both showed slowdowns with EAF on, though it was much worse on the P4.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:49 PM
  • I have deployed EMET 5.5 without an issue.  I am running latest version of Google Chrome 64 bit.  I am running 32 bit Office 2010 --- yes that is a little slower but it works well enough for me.  I also have Libra Office which runs well.  I have configured my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit machine to block all preview updates, block all updates regarding Windows 10, block updating of Window Update for Windows 10, etc.  I am up to 52 hidden updates that would have negatively affected my machine.  This is the future of Microsoft everyone.  It is a puppet show now and Fall Creator's 1709 Deployment has been a Disaster.  We have rolled back to 1703.  There were too many safety and security problems with Windows 10 1709 and the removal of EMET is not acceptable.  Our organization is considering fully rolling back to Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise and then entering into a custom support agreement with Microsoft and eventually moving to Linux and using Windows 7 only within a Virtual Environment with Linux supporting the backbone of the network and dd-wrt firmware protecting our network as well as having very little signal leakage --- mostly a Faraday cage.  We have remote access disabled for security reasons.  We have passphrases of 30+ characters on Router.  The modem is also password protected to prevent potential competiors from stealing our valuable data.

Nothing beats a hard copy

Sunday, February 11, 2018 11:43 PM