none
The new portal doesn't help to consisely recap what patches we need to make decisions on RRS feed

All replies

• I complete agree with the issues I've heard on this forum and others around the internet. Not sure what the thought process was but the change did nothing to make our lives easier and made it much more difficult to determine our internal severity based on the attack methods.

I'm all for a searchable database but don't trash the system that worked perfectly in the past.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Susan,

Thank you for making this point. I thought that it was just me. The big question for me is now, "How do I create test deployments with specific changes?". I am a little lost here, and not sure what to tell our teams.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:22 AM
  • Focus on what patches you need/what you see in whatever deployment tool you use.

If Windows 7 decide if you will deploy the security only or the rollup patch.

Use the security portal to dig into whether or not something is exploited, but yes, I'm with you this portal isn't helping.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 2:08 AM
  • We understand the concern about the changes made to both the Security Update Guide replacing the numerous KB’s of the past. The change is to align with the move from individual updates to the cumulative update process.

The updated process for our Security Update Guide is covered in the recent blog covering this is found at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/azuresecurity/2017/03/17/security-update-guide-ushers-in-a-new-era-of-microsoft-updates/

The previous KBs have been replaced by the new portal at https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/

You can search the related CVE or MS17-* for what is pertaining

In the case of searching the applicable patches for the related OS, please search on the platform such as Windows 7 – this will return what should be seen in WSUS for that platform and then you can see the most recent updates that are applicable via the cumulative update process. You no longer have 100’s of updates to approve but rather need to use the most recent cumulative for either security only or full.

Chris Wojahn Sr. Escalation Engineer | Support Engineering -  Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions | Security & Incident Response Team

Customer Services & Support | Microsoft Corporation

Incident Response Reference Guide & Lessons Learned

Your potential our passion.

Chris Wojahn Escalation Engineer | Support Engineering - Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions | Security & Incident Response Team Customer Services & Support | Microsoft Corporation

Friday, April 14, 2017 10:26 PM
  • is there an easy way via GitHub and PowerShell to build a report that summarizes by operating system so that we get a view of the patches based on what we're patching, not via CVE?
    Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:04 AM
  • The change is to align with the move from individual updates to the cumulative update process.

Is there any updated plans to move Server 2008 (non-r2) to a cumulative process, sometime soon? Its still got a few years of extended support left in it.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00 AM
  • Chris, any chance you could elaborate on the process:

"In the case of searching the applicable patches for the related OS, please search on the platform such as Windows 7 – this will return what should be seen in WSUS for that platform and then you can see the most recent updates that are applicable via the cumulative update process."

So for example:

1. I go to https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance

2. I filter to only show updates for Windows Server 2012 R2

3. I set the date to last month - March 2018.

My expectation should be that I will get a list of ALL relevant patches for Windows Server 2012R2 up until and through the month of March 2018. This doesn't seem to be the case. Instead, I only see 1 KB: 4088876.

Does that mean that this one KB contains ALL relevant patches for Server 2012 R2? In other words, if I were to do a clean installation of Server 2012 R2 from an install ISO, then install 4088876, would the system be fully patched?

Thanks!

Friday, April 6, 2018 7:23 PM