none
Hotfix for KB2789962 "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)" Stop error Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having random Blue Screen BSOD Stop crashes on an HPE Proliant ML110 Gen9 running Windows Server 2012 R2. Event reads "operating system failure windows bug check stop 0x00000133".

Hardware diagnostics with HPE Insight Diagnostics show no error. Updated to latest firmware and drivers with HPE Service Pack for Proliant.

There's this HPE KB article https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03617930

It points to this Microsoft KB article which includes a hotfix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2789962/you-receive-a-dpc-watchdog-violation-133-stop-error-message-on-a-windo

However, attempting to download the hotfix gives a "Hotfix not available" message.

There's an identical HPE Proliant ML110 Gen9 server with same software installation which is not experiencing these crashes, so I'm not sure yet if it's a hardware issue.

Could anyone please provide with information regarding this hotfix? Any more recent hotfix that supersedes this one?

Thanks

Friday, September 13, 2019 12:20 PM

All replies

• Looking at the file information it is quite old. The fix was likely superseded and included in a later update. Otherwise you can contact product support using the enclosed link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2789962/you-receive-a-dpc-watchdog-violation-133-stop-error-message-on-a-windo

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:00 PM
  • Hello, Dave.

Thanks for your reply. I have contacted Microsoft Support, but they haven't provided an adequate hotfix, that's why I posted here to see what the community can say about it.

The MS KB article doesn't explicitly mention the hotfix has been included in a later regular Windows Update.

Thanks

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:13 PM
  • You mention in subject line 2012 R2 but the fix is for Server 2012 which is a different product SKU, so the fix does not apply anyway.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:19 PM
  • Dave,

I agree they should have the information, but also the KB article should be updated to explicitly reflect that the hotfix has been included in a later update.

I believe requesting a hotfix would not require having a support contract nor paying for a support incident. Is this correct?

Thanks

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:26 PM
  • I believe requesting a hotfix would not require having a support contract nor paying for a support incident. Is this correct?

Yes I believe that's correct.

Applies to: Windows Server 2012 DatacenterWindows Server 2012 DatacenterWindows Server 2012 EssentialsWindows Server 2012 FoundationWindows Server 2012 FoundationWindows Server 2012 StandardWindows Server 2012 Standard

You mention in your post Server 2012 R2 but the fix is for Server 2012 which is a different product SKU, so the fix does not apply anyway.

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:29 PM
  • Dave,

Thanks for pointing out article states it applies to Windows Server 2012 only.

There could be a chance the article has not been updated to reflect it also applies to Windows Server 2012 R2. In my experience, I've seen articles that work for later versions. Still it's a good point and validating applicability is especially important with servers.

Thanks

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:56 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome. After 7 years I doubt product support will revisit.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Friday, September 13, 2019 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your statement,I see a hotfix that is especially useful for your situation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3029348/0x00000133-stop-may-occur-on-systems-with-intel-processors-that-are-ru

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Charlotte Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 7:11 AM
  • Hi mdgrkb.

It could be useful examining the .DMP file created by Windows at the bug check's time to try to figure out the root cause of the problem: upload that file to your OneDrive, make it publicly available and post the URL here, so we can try to analyze it and to suggest you a solution.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Monday, September 16, 2019 1:07 PM
  • To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There are two files for you to find manually:

a) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter the above to find results.

b) dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:44 AM
  • Hello mdgrkb,

Thank you for posting in TechNet forums.

Please do not forget to mark helpful replies as answer, as Dave mentioned. It helps us to keep forums updated.

Thank you

Hamid Sadeghpour Saleh Microsoft MCT Regional Lead

hamidsadeghpour.net

Mark it as answer if your question has solved in order to keep forums updated.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regards,

Charlotte Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 7:53 AM