none
Hyper-V partition write protected and unremoveable RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently stopped using Hyper-V on my computer and I wish to delete the 8gb "PortableBaseLayer" Partition but I can not do this as it is write protected. I can not figure out how to delete it, and no options in the disk management panel seem to solve this for me. Can anyone tell me how I can remove/delete the partition and have no Virtual Hard Drive on my computer? Thank you. I apologize if I have formatted this wrong, or put it in the wrong location. I am very new to using forums.
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:12 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

As far as I know, this partition will appear when you active sandbox.

The PortableBaseLayer virtual partition is important when using the Windows Sandbox or the Windows Defender Application Guard protection feature.

If you really want to remove this partition , you might try the following steps:

1.Disable the Windows Sandbox. 

2.Or under Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Links then "Turn Windows features on or off" , remove Windows Defender Applications Guard and restart.

If it still doesn't work, I would suggest you ignore it. Because this is a virtual drive, it does not bother us.

When Sandbox is opened, the virtual drive is "attached" as it's home to play in. When Sandbox is closed, the virtual drive is "detached".

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

As far as I know, this partition will appear when you active sandbox.

The PortableBaseLayer virtual partition is important when using the Windows Sandbox or the Windows Defender Application Guard protection feature.

If you really want to remove this partition , you might try the following steps:

1.Disable the Windows Sandbox. 

2.Or under Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Links then "Turn Windows features on or off" , remove Windows Defender Applications Guard and restart.

If it still doesn't work, I would suggest you ignore it. Because this is a virtual drive, it does not bother us.

When Sandbox is opened, the virtual drive is "attached" as it's home to play in. When Sandbox is closed, the virtual drive is "detached".

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:28 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, June 21, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Your response has helped me, I assumed the PortableBaseLayer was the partition that my virtual machines in Hyper-V were stored in, and did not know that it was a Windows Sandbox feature. Thank you for informing me of this! I had recently removed Hyper-V and assumed that I was losing space for no reason but you let me know that that was not the case.
    Sunday, June 23, 2019 12:07 AM
  • Hi ,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, June 24, 2019 2:01 AM