none
Enable Windows Update Power Management GPO question RRS feed

• Question

• I am solving for laptop updates for users who are taking their laptops home. I can configure the BIOS to wake up a given laptop at a specified time - such as 3am. At which point the Windows Update is configured to carry out a maintenance cycle.

My question is, with the GPO setting "Enable Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates"enabled, a laptop on battery will return to hibernation when woken from hibernation, but will it return to hibernation from a fully powered on state? Versus, from a fully powered on state, Windows Update runs regardless of being connected to power or on battery. Or am I better of relying on the user to leave the laptop in hibernation and letting the power management GPO setting to negotiate the task?

The GPO setting is found at: Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.

Thank you for your thoughtful response,

Jason

Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

First of all, regarding the strategy "Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the computer to install scheduled updates", one thing that needs our attention:

• If the system is on battery power, when Windows Update wakes it up, it will not install updates and the system will automatically return to sleep in 2 minutes.

My advice is to connect the power supply if you consider that your computer is asleep during the specified automatic update time. At the same time, the strategy we discussed, "Enabling Windows Update Power Management..." is also best enabled, which will help us complete the update when the conditions are running.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:52 AM
  • My favorite college instructor like to say, "the most secure network is one without any users".

Of course we can say that plugging in the laptop is the best strategy. However, I know there will be instances when someone takes their laptop home and forgets to plug it into power. That's just a given.

So, I am trying to consider all options to avoid a brittle and untenable patching mandate. Such as patching in the middle of the day, when I know the computer is turned on. That's just bad for productivity.

I don't think this is obvious. However, I am envisioning a situation where the laptop is awoken for patches, but goes back to sleep in order to not brick the laptop on a dead battery mid update.

So, if you know the answer to my question, great! Let's hear it?

• Edited by Javaloon Friday, November 15, 2019 5:34 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 5:08 PM
  • Hi Jason,

I am sorry that I still do not have a clear understanding of your purpose.
    It seems that you are hoping to complete the update installation before a specific deadline, but considering that many laptops will be installed incorrectly for various reasons. If this is the case, you can consider adding a deadline for the approval update, if you have set a deadline, WUA will enforce that deadline even outside of the Automatic Maintenance window, and even if updates are set not to install automatically. It must be noted that The computer will be rebooted (if needed) at the end of the installation process.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:50 AM
  • Deadlines never came into the discussion. Not sure how you manged to pull that in?

My singular concern is that if I send a laptop into a patch cycle while it is on battery, it can get messy fast.

Please go back and read my comments with that in mind.

Monday, November 18, 2019 4:14 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Laptops may go to sleep while using the battery. Even if you have configured Group Policy "Enable Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates", there is no way to help you complete the update, which was mentioned in my initial reply.

The purpose of Deadline is also to solve the update you need in the fastest possible time, which is after the sleeping laptop wakes up again and exceeds the time specified by the deadline, the update will be triggered immediately.

I am sorry that this information does not help you. It may require some experts who have encountered the same problem in the actual environment to advise you. 
    Please consider waiting for more experts to make suggestions.

Regards,
    Yic

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:47 AM
  • My intention is that when a laptop wakes up for patching, and the laptop is on battery, Windows Update does not run. This is the only thing I am concerned with.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:44 PM
  • My intention is that when a laptop wakes up for patching, and the laptop is on battery, Windows Update does not run. This is the only thing I am concerned with.

Yes, the design is so.

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, November 22, 2019 6:11 AM