new format is horrible RRS feed

• General discussion

• hate hate hate the new security bulletin format.  HATE.

I now have to manually transcribe this information to my spreadsheet to disseminate to my customers.  you have just added 8 hours to my workload.  thanks for nothing.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:37 PM

All replies

• +1, terrible.
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:48 PM
  • We understand the concern about the changes made to both the Security Update Guide replacing the numerous KB’s of the past. The change is to align with the move from individual updates to the cumulative update process.

The updated process for our Security Update Guide is covered in the recent blog covering this is found at https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/azuresecurity/2017/03/17/security-update-guide-ushers-in-a-new-era-of-microsoft-updates/

The previous KBs have been replaced by the new portal at https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/

You can search the related CVE or MS17-* for what is pertaining

In the case of searching the applicable patches for the related OS pease search on the platform such as Windows 7 – this will return what should be seen in WSUS for that platform and then you can see the most recent updates that are applicable via the cumulative update process. You no longer have 100’s of updates to approve but rather need to use the most recent cumulative for either security only or full.

What may make this easier for you is to download the Security Update Guide locally so it can be searched and pivoted in the fashion you desire. Most common usage is above to see what is applicable to a specific OS version in x64 etc.

Chris Wojahn Sr. Escalation Engineer | Support Engineering -  Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions | Security & Incident Response Team

Customer Services & Support | Microsoft Corporation

Incident Response Reference Guide & Lessons Learned

Your potential our passion.

Chris Wojahn Escalation Engineer | Support Engineering - Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions | Security & Incident Response Team Customer Services & Support | Microsoft Corporation

Friday, April 14, 2017 10:31 PM
  • In the case of searching the applicable patches for the related OS pease search on the platform such as Windows 7 – this will return what should be seen in WSUS for that platform and then you can see the most recent updates that are applicable via the cumulative update process. You no longer have 100’s of updates to approve but rather need to use the most recent cumulative for either security only or full.

The problem with this is that customers still need to read and assess the impact of those 100's of updates that are rolled up into each cumulative batch.  Obfuscating the details of the individual patches isn't encouraging admins to get onboard with swallowing the whole pill and sorting out any problems afterwards.  Instead it is creating more work to untangle and identify the pieces so we know what specifically to test or watch out for if patches could negatively affect our environment.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:46 PM