none
Database Size Getting Big RRS feed

• Question

• I am running ATA version 1.9.7412.9649. The MongoDB is at 51 GB. What are my options for shrinking the database? I need to clear up space on the server. Thank you!
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:49 PM

All replies

• If your free space reaches a minimum of either 20% or 200 GB, the oldest collection of data is deleted. If it is not possible to successfully reduce the data collection to this level, an alert will be logged. ATA will continue functioning until the threshold of 5% or 50 GB free is reached. At this point, ATA will stop populating the database and an additional alert will be issued.

The question is if the current state is over-sized, what was the sizing tool recommendation ?

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 10:07 PM
  • Hello Eli. Yes - are they any sizing tools for the MongoDB? Anyway I can configure it to delete even older data collected than what the default is currently set at?
    Monday, September 30, 2019 3:00 PM
  • The ATA/AATP sizing tool will also give you storage recommendation.

Although we have the technical means of internally altering the scavenging thresholds, we don't support it for normal use, only for troubleshooting as they might not persist between upgrades.

The best thing to do is use the tools' recommendation + a little more, so the system can stabilize on 20% free that won't be a big waste, so effectively, changing the total volume size will function similar to changing the thresholds, only it will persist...

Monday, September 30, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Thanks Eli. I added more disk space to the ATA server. One more question, is there a way to suppress only these ATA low disk space alert e-mails? I looked in the ATA console yesterday for my alert suppress options and I couldn't find a way to only suppress one alert without having to suppress all of them...
    Tuesday, October 1, 2019 2:42 PM
  • Try this command mongod --repair

Alternately, you can also compact the DB.

{ compact: <collection name> }

In some cases, admin privileges are required to compact the DB. You can use below code for this.

use admin

db.createRole(

{

role: "myCustomCompactRole",

privileges: [

{

resource: { "db" : "<database>" , "collection" : "<collection>" },

actions: [ "compact" ]

}

],

roles: []

}

)

Regards,
    Citrix Vdi Expert

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 6:15 PM
  • No, there is no logic ( I can see) to do that... if you have a disk alert, you want to take action ASAP, as when the free space drops below 5%, ATA stops keeping any data id it can't scavenge anything any  more.

Why did you ADD space? did you get an alert? I thought you wanted to minimize the disk usage...

If you got an alert, then likely you were underspeced already...

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 9:14 PM
  • I logged into my ATA admin console and noticed that I have 335 open alerts that date back from months ago that have not been deleted. If I delete these, will this free up space?
    Friday, October 11, 2019 3:43 PM
  • I logged into my ATA admin console and noticed that I have 335 open alerts that date back from months ago that have not been deleted. If I delete these, will this free up space?
    Friday, October 11, 2019 3:43 PM
  • It will free some... but not the vast majority...

If sized correctly, the system should auto stabilize on the parameters mentioned above.

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:07 PM
  • Do I need to do a "mongod --repair" or a compact database command against the ATA database to shrink the size of the DB? Or should I just leave things the way they are? I don't know what other options I have to shrink the size of the DB?

Monday, October 14, 2019 6:57 PM
  • No, as mentioned above, once the system is sized correctly, which means it has enough space to hold data for one month + 20% free, it should auto stabilize on that.

You don't need to do any action by yourself.

If the current space is not enough to support holding the data for 1 month, it's a sizing issue and you need to fix it, you can't just shrink it to any size you want, as it will hurt detection. 

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:04 PM
  • Do you know if it will only alert when it drops below 20%? Or should I get another ATA alert if the disk space drops down to something else, perhaps below 10% or 5%? 
    Monday, October 14, 2019 8:36 PM
  • If it got below 20% and there is nothing we can delete (info older than 1 month)m we will alert on low disk space. This means detections might get hurt.

If you drop below 5%, the system will totally stop inserting new data - total loss of detections until fixed.

Monday, October 14, 2019 8:43 PM