none
64- bit end state of Eclipse RCP Application not able to read and write in Program Files or Program Files (x86) where in 32 bit application can does the same RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to uplift our 32 bit Eclipse RCP application to 64 bit end state.In order to do that I have updated all the required dependencies and dlls. Also I am able to launch the application under 64 bit environment only when the application is kept anywhere outside Program Files or Program Files(x86). When it is installed in the said location it could not be launched , a result view could not be created because it tries to write a search file in the place where it is been installed.

But the main problem is the same set of code works for 32 bit version no matter where it is installed. Also the 32 bit version of application can read or write result to any desired location without being launched as admin. And the 64 bit version of the application does the same when launched as admin.

In order to find out more I tried with eclipse_mars_x86 and eclipse_mars_x86_64 with different location.When the workspace is inside Program Files or Program Files(x86) 32 bit of eclipse can access it without being launched as admin but the same can not be done through 64 bit of eclipse, without launching it as admin.

The same behavior is seen with sample RCP Application which I created  to investigate the issue . The 64 - bit version of the sample application , if kept inside Program Files or Program Files(x86)  , is not launching(\.metadata\.locl(Access is Denied)). Where in for the same sample application built in 32 bit environment is working fine inside Program Files or Program Files (x86).

My main question here is where exactly the 32-bit and 64-bit application differs in terms of security . What exactly cause this difference ?

Monday, July 16, 2018 6:02 AM