Creating View that Groups or Sorts By Content Type RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that we can no longer create a view that Groups by Content Type. The Content Type field is not available in the Group By or Sort By settings, however it is available in the Filter By. Do anyone know if this is a bug or by design? I have seen some postings about how to work around this using SharePoint Designer, but that does not really seem like a viable approach for many end users.

We just upgraded from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010 Standard

After some further investigation, I found some libaries in my environment that do have the Content Type field in the Group By setting and some libaries that do not.  Any ideas why there would be this inconsistent behavior or how to fix?

TIA
    Dean

Dean MCTS-SQL 2005 Business Intelligence
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 10:19 AM

Answers

• You might consider turning metadata navigation on your document libraries as well.  One of the out-of-the-box options here is to filter the view by content type.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:30 AM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hello Dean,

List/library views cannot be configured to show items grouped by "Content Type" is a by design behavior in SharePoint 2010. This is due to the way "Content Type" fields became calculated and unsorted fields in SharePoint 2010.

By using Metadata navigation hierarchies as a workaround, you could edit the height and scrollbar properties of quick launch SharePoint.SPNavigationManager object via SharePoint Designer to make it shorter and scrollable when there are many navigation items in the quick launch. In this case, users can see the Metadata navigation hierarchies without scrolling down. For details, please see:
    http://www.endusersharepoint.com/EUSP2010/2010/06/04/navigating-sharepoint-2010-part-2-the-quick-launch/

Another alternative is that grouping by content type ID and erase the ugly content type ID in SharePoint Designer 2010.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu || Microsoft Online Community Support Engineer || SharePoint
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:13 AM

All replies

• You could use SharePoint Designer to do so, but if you re-edit in browser you may lose the functionality.
    AK
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 11:12 AM
  • You might consider turning metadata navigation on your document libraries as well.  One of the out-of-the-box options here is to filter the view by content type.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Corey, i was looling at the Metadata navigation, but i have a lot of items on the Quick Launch bar, and the Metadata nav tree get stuck at the bottom where it can't be seen without scrolling down. does anyone know how i can force the MetaData nav tree to be a the top of the quick launch bar?

Dean MCTS-SQL 2005 Business Intelligence
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hello Dean,

List/library views cannot be configured to show items grouped by "Content Type" is a by design behavior in SharePoint 2010. This is due to the way "Content Type" fields became calculated and unsorted fields in SharePoint 2010.

By using Metadata navigation hierarchies as a workaround, you could edit the height and scrollbar properties of quick launch SharePoint.SPNavigationManager object via SharePoint Designer to make it shorter and scrollable when there are many navigation items in the quick launch. In this case, users can see the Metadata navigation hierarchies without scrolling down. For details, please see:
    http://www.endusersharepoint.com/EUSP2010/2010/06/04/navigating-sharepoint-2010-part-2-the-quick-launch/

Another alternative is that grouping by content type ID and erase the ugly content type ID in SharePoint Designer 2010.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu || Microsoft Online Community Support Engineer || SharePoint
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:13 AM