none
Runtimebroker.exe high cpu/memory utilization

Question

• I have several Windows 10 machines that are having the same runtimebroker.exe issue. The runtimebroker.exe sucks up over 50% of the cpu and sometimes multiple GB of memory. I've tried several things to fix this issue but have yet been unable to find a solution. I don't want to have to reinstall Windows just because of this issue. One of the machines is a Surface Pro 3 and the other is a Dell desktop.

Vincent Sprague

• Edited by Baron164 Tuesday, January 05, 2016 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2016 2:57 AM

Answers

• After noticing the network activity I did some more research and I believe I may have finally found the issue. These machines have their photo's folder redirected to a central store of photos that contains thousands of images. I've seen some people say that the new photo's app will basically get stuck reading the directory so I removed the app. Since it's a built-in app I had to use the following powershell command to remove it.

Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

Since I removed the app I've rebooted a few times and it seems ok now but I'm going to keep an eye on the situation to see if it comes back.

Vincent Sprague

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 4:08 PM

All replies

• In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 2:59 AM
  • Try a clean boot and check the results. 
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 3:03 AM
  • I have uploaded the trace here. http://1drv.ms/22IQ4Lz Even with a clean boot when the system boots up the runtimebroker.exe has about 5% cpu usage and the memory usage just climbs steadily until it's using multiple GB.

Also, one other thing I've noticed is that the system is experiencing a good amount of network activity, it appears to be reading data from something but it isn't downloading anything over the internet as my firewall shows no activity.

Vincent Sprague

• Edited by Baron164 Tuesday, January 05, 2016 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2016 1:32 PM
  • After noticing the network activity I did some more research and I believe I may have finally found the issue. These machines have their photo's folder redirected to a central store of photos that contains thousands of images. I've seen some people say that the new photo's app will basically get stuck reading the directory so I removed the app. Since it's a built-in app I had to use the following powershell command to remove it.

Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

Since I removed the app I've rebooted a few times and it seems ok now but I'm going to keep an eye on the situation to see if it comes back.

Vincent Sprague

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Thanks for letting us know & good luck

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, January 11, 2016 1:04 AM