none
DPM 2016 Large Protection Groups Best Practices RRS feed

• Question

• I have a protection group that is using the file backup agent directly installed on a file server.  This protection group contains a single server with 16TB of data.  Originally we backed this up using the Hyper-V host backup method as it is a VHD however this had issues in that whenever it had to do a consistency check it would create multiple massive AVHDX files totally 6+TB and the consistency check would run 100+ hours seeming like it would never finish.  We have now switched to backing up the files on this file server by installing the agent directly on the server.  Using this method the backup method took a bit longer to create the initial protection group however was able to create stable Sync's for about 2 weeks.  Unfortunately the DPM server lost power in a backup and now the protection group requires a consistency check.

The consistency check has been running 94 hours, transferred 1.2gigs and scanned 107355 files.  We seem to be in the same position as before however using this backup method is not creating the endless AVHDX files consuming ridiculous amounts of space.  So, I am beginning to think something is wrong or DPM is simply not able to handle these larger protection groups.  If every time it has to run a consistency check has to run for 1-2 weeks with no end in sight this does not seem to be a usable solution.  Is there any way to determine how long the consistency check will take?  This file server has close to a million files and it's indicated it has scanned 107355 files, does that mean it has to scan all files and this is my gauge in determining the length of the consistency check?

If I understand this correctly during a consistency check your you are missing all your schedule syncs so if it takes 3 weeks I have no backups for 3 weeks?  Can DPM backup a file server that is 15-20TB and if so what is the proper way so you don't have to run month long consistency checks?

Thanks

• Edited by Dudditz Wednesday, July 25, 2018 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Dudditz!

Did you have solution for this problem? I have the same problem.

Thursday, November 22, 2018 2:08 AM
  • I am having the same issue.
    but with only 3 TB of data. 

Did you find a solution? or did you just switch to another backup software?
    Friday, June 26, 2020 10:21 AM