none
Make a user a project manager of a security group RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project server 2013 running quite fine. I think the security permissions are in place...users can only see their projects and the tasks assigned to them.

Now I want to make a user project manager of a security group so that he can view all the projects created by that group users.

Thanks in advance

Friday, December 28, 2012 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi abdulmajid88,

It seens that you are working in Project Server security mode (as in 2010). In this case you need to create a new category called, for instance, "Other Projects" (the other one is "My Projects") and fill the page as follows:

1. In the "Projects" section mark the "<label for="idRdbProjectsAll">Include all current and future projects</label>" button.
    2. In the "Views" section, check the views you want to allow the to use in "Project" and "Project Center" views. I recommend to choose the same views that the "My Projects"category can see to avoid confusion and page blanking. 
    3. In the Permission section click on the Project Managers group in "<label for="usersAndGroups_Alpha" id="idLbl_usersAndGroups_Alpha">Available Users and Groups" and move </label>to the "<label for="usersAndGroups_Beta" id="idLbl_usersAndGroups_Beta">Users and Groups with Permissions".</label>
    4. <label for="usersAndGroups_Beta" id="idLbl_usersAndGroups_Beta">Click on this name on this last window and below the table "</label>Permissions for <label id="idLblSelectedUserOrGroup">Project Managers (Group)"</label><label for="usersAndGroups_Beta" id="idLbl_usersAndGroups_Beta"> select the "Portfolio Viewer" template and click "Apply" button.</label>
    5. If you want to allow them to open the schedules in Project Professional and PWA, but not to save or publish it, check the "Allow"box of the option "Open Project", otherwise keep it blank.
    6. Click "Save" button at the end.

Now the Project Managers can see (and open if you chose this option) all projects, but can open, save and publish only those allowed in the "My Projects" category.

I hope this will help you.

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner

• Proposed as answer by R.Segawa Friday, December 28, 2012 7:01 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 7:01 PM
  • It seems to be working, when the category is added to the user's account he can view all the projects. But I dont want this. We have 4 different AD groups for different departments. I want a 4 users to be manager of their respective departments, so that they can view all the projects of their department but should not view projects of other departments.

Thank you

Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Hi abdulmajid88,

Are you using RBS for your resources? If you use it, instead using the option all projects you use the option to see only projects managed or executed by team members that belongs to the same RBS of the user.

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner

Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:50 AM