SharePoint 2010 Workflow Status Link Error RRS feed

• Question

• In SharePoint 2010, if you add a Library or List to a page, and the view you show has an associated workflow status column, then clicking the link to show the workflow status will result in an error.  If you dig in the ULS logs, the error is ‘Index Out of Bounds’.  Looking closely at the URL, you can see that the QueryString is not properly formed – it contains an empty List parameter: WrkStat.aspx?List=&WorkflowInstanceId=<guid>

Here’s repro steps:

•Create a new blank site
    •Create a new Document library named ‘Test Docs’
    •Associate any workflow with the library, set to start when item created
    •Edit the blank site’s home page
    •Add ‘Test Docs’ as a web part to the page
    •Change the view to ‘All Documents’
    •Upload a document
    •Click the workflow status link
    •Observe an error occurs.
    •Observe the URL QueryString contains ‘List=&’ (ie a blank List)

I can see online that there is a fix by way of SharePoint Designer but this is not a possibility within our environment.

I basically would like to hear from Microsoft that this is a known bug which is yet to be fixed so I can go back to the user with confidence? As all roads that have lead me to submitting this question suggest that it is a bug, but I have not heard this from any Microsoft sources.

Monday, May 20, 2013 10:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you want to add a list on the home page with the workflow status column. I have a test based on your description and cannot reproduce your issue. What is your SharePoint version? Have you installed SP1?

I have a test on SharePoint 2010 SP1, the workflow status column works as expected when added to home page.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:29 AM
  • Hi Entan,

Thank you for responding. It is SP1 and patched with DEC 2012 CU. Basically the link within the workflow column works fine when clicking from the actual document library itself but not within a web part view of the document library.

I  am not sure if it makes any difference but it is worth noting that a user is trying to achieve this within their mysite.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Hi Entan,

I have just reproduced the issue myself. So went to my mysite, went to the content area of it. Clicked the link in the quick launch navigation to my shared document document library, clicked the workflow status link and all is good. Now from the home page of clicking on the content area of the mysite you will see two web parts one with a view of your shared documents and another of you personal. Edit the web part to select the view of all documents so it includes the workflow status column. Click on the link and the error is received.

Thanks

Henry

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:40 AM
  • It has since come to light that this only seems to be an issue with My Sites. A basic OOTB team site does not show this behaviour and works as expected. Unfortunately I have not been able to get clarification from Microsoft to say as much and as MySites are not going to be pushed to the limits as much as other sites I doubt many will encounter or be hindered by this issue.
    Friday, June 14, 2013 2:45 PM
  • I am having the same problem displaying a library on the main page.

Here is a work around for it but I dont see why Microsoft cant fix the problem.

Obscure SharePoint 2010 Workflow Status Link Error

• Marked as answer by Pratik Vyas Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:33 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 12:51 PM