none
Search only one Site Collection?

Question

• My engineers asked me to create them a new Site Collection to hold all of the general standards documents for all of our engineers corporate wide.  The also asked me if there was a way that when someone was in that site collection that when they did a search it would only search that SC.

I have only one web app for the farm, but around 25 SC's.  I have never tried to modify the Search setup that comes out of the box (in fact I haven't really modified anything that came out of the box), so by default I can only search by either the site or everything.

Is there an easy way to modify the search to only look at one SC?

Thanks.

Ted

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:05 PM

Answers

• yes this is possible. you can achieve this by using a search scope. firstly go to your ssp and navigate to the Search Settings page under the Search category. once your there click on Content sources and crawl schedules. then add a new content source. give it an appropriate name and leave the 'Content Source Type' as SharePoint Sites. in the start address field enter the site collection url. you will need to change the radio button in the crawl settings section to 'Crawl only the SharePoint Site of each start address' i cannot get this to work with the other option. select your crawl schedules and then click ok.

When this is done and you see your new content source, start a full crawl and then go back to the search settings page and scroll down to the Scopes section. Click on View Scopes then New Scope. enter a title for the scope and click ok. next to the newly added scope click add rules, select Content Source and choose the content source you created and click ok. after the update is performed this scope will be avilable for you to use in your site collection.

navigate to your site collection and go the the site settings page. under site collection administration section click on search scopes. you should see your search scope appear under the unused scopes. to enable this scope click on the search dropdown link and select the scope. now you will see the scope appear in the dropdown when you perform a search.

hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Mahesh Srini Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ted McLaughlin Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:45 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:19 PM

All replies

• yes this is possible. you can achieve this by using a search scope. firstly go to your ssp and navigate to the Search Settings page under the Search category. once your there click on Content sources and crawl schedules. then add a new content source. give it an appropriate name and leave the 'Content Source Type' as SharePoint Sites. in the start address field enter the site collection url. you will need to change the radio button in the crawl settings section to 'Crawl only the SharePoint Site of each start address' i cannot get this to work with the other option. select your crawl schedules and then click ok.

When this is done and you see your new content source, start a full crawl and then go back to the search settings page and scroll down to the Scopes section. Click on View Scopes then New Scope. enter a title for the scope and click ok. next to the newly added scope click add rules, select Content Source and choose the content source you created and click ok. after the update is performed this scope will be avilable for you to use in your site collection.

navigate to your site collection and go the the site settings page. under site collection administration section click on search scopes. you should see your search scope appear under the unused scopes. to enable this scope click on the search dropdown link and select the scope. now you will see the scope appear in the dropdown when you perform a search.

hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Mahesh Srini Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ted McLaughlin Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:45 PM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Thanks very much!  I will check this as answered even though it will take me awhile to actually get it implemented, (have a long change control process I have to go through). 

But thank you very much for the information.  That would have taken me forever to figure out.

Ted

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Oops.  It looks like I marked this as answered a little too soon.  When I went to try this in my staging environment I got an error that said this SC's url was already in a separate Content Source, and couldn't be used in another.

This made me think that you have a separate Content Source for each Site Collection.  Do you?

I only have one Content Source.  What I have in my "all sites" Content Source is:
    http://myurl.toro.com/12345/
    http://myservername.toro.com/12346/
    https://mysecret.toro.com/12347/
    etc

If the new SC is http://myurl.toro.com/newSC/, can I use that in an separate Content Source while keeping the above 'wildcard' content sources?  Or do I have to break out each SC in the "all sites except one" Content Source?

The info above really looks like it would take care of my problem, but if I have to have a separate Content Source for each SC, that might become cumbersome quickly.

Any ideas.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ted

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:06 PM