none
Migrating Protection Groups\Members from DPM 2012 R2 RU14 to 2016 RU7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I'm thinking of relocating some of our protected members from a DPM 2012 R2 server over to a DPM 2016 server and wanted to go over the process and any caveats

The workloads will be SQL and Volume level

This is the process I was intending to follow:

1.  Stop protection of the member(s) i want to relocate
    2. Once all the protected members are stopped, Disable the Protection Agent in the DPM Management area for that protected server
    3. On the protected server, open an elevated cmd and change the directory to %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin 
    4. Then run SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName YourNewDPMserver
    5. Configure the firewall on the protected server to allow access to the new DPM server
    6. Install the DPM Agent of the new DPM server onto the protected server
    7. In the new DPM server, Attach the Agent to the protected server

I've followed this process before in the past but I think that was between 2 DPM servers which were running the same version.

Will there be a requirement to reboot the protected servers once the new Agent is installed?

Any other considerations?

Thanks

Monday, January 20, 2020 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hello!

There are no features in DPM to move protection groups or protected data sources to a new DPM server and maintain the recovery points.

So your best shot is to stop the protection on your DPM1 server and retain the replica, then run the SetDpmServer.exe on the protected server and point it the other DPM2 server.

Install/Update the agent on the protected servers.

Then on the DPM2 server, run the Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 script to establish agent communications, then make new protection groups and re-protect the same data sources.

Once the retention goals are met, delete the replica from under inactive protection group on first DPM1 server.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, January 20, 2020 3:48 PM