none
Update Services on WSUS Primary RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am relatively new to WSUS updates and was hoping you could help and offer some advice.

While connected to the WSUS Windows Server Update Services console I noticed one of our Downstream servers was reporting that it had 5 updates while in reality it has none. I logged onto the Downstream Server installed all the 5 updates rebooted run a wuauclt /detectnow and it reported back there were no updates to install. I waited for approx one hour but I still see in the Primary server update console that it is still reporting that 5 updates are needed.

Can someone help to explain why I am still seeing the 5 updates for the downstream server on the primary server? BTW all updates have been verified and are exactly the same on both the primary and downstream servers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What is you Operating System version of your WSUS server? If you are running Windows Server 2016, I suggest you check whether KB4039396 is installed. 

In addition, please check the "Last status report" for the server, you may run server cleanup wizard and then check whether it can help. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Hi Yan Li,

we have a mixture of 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 boxes. We do not have any 2016 boxes on our estate.

It looks like the downstream server in question has now reported back and it states there is only one update to install which has been changed to Not Approved. This update in "Not approved" still shows up on the primary server Updates Services for the downstream server in question.

My question is how can I stop Not approved updates for particular downstream servers showing up on the management console.

I have a mission to get my computers to 100% but am fighting a big battle getting this sorted. Any help on how to achieve this would be very useful to me.

Thanks Yan Li.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Hello,

For those Unapproved and needed updates, you may approve them, and then after installation, they should be removed under needed status. 

If you do not want to approve them, you can decline them, and then you should not see them as Unapproved. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:36 AM