none
The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob (ID d644d54c-4e78-41a7-86d8-87a8cc8efcaa) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Question

• Hi,

I've created a SharePoint Web App and then a basic Blog site collection.

When I try to access the site, the page doesn't load. IE doesn't tell me anything other than the page cannot be loaded, but Chrome tells me ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.

The Event Log is unusually quiet, but I do periodically see:

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob (ID d644d54c-4e78-41a7-86d8-87a8cc8efcaa) threw an exception. More information is included below.

There was no endpoint listening at http://myserver-name-replaced:5725/ResourceManagementService/MEX that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

The ULS logs show more or less the above, but I also see at the same time stamp:

Exception stack trace:   Server stack trace:      at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpOutput.WebRequestHttpOutput.GetOutputStream()     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpOutput.Send(TimeSpan timeout)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.SendRequest(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)    Exception rethrown at [0]:      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)     at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)     at System.ServiceModel.Description.IMetadataExchange.Get(Message request)     at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WebServices.MetadataClient.Get(String dialect, String identifier)     at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WebServices.Client.ResourceManagementClient.SchemaManagerImplementation.RefreshSchema()     at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WebServices.ResourceManager.get_SchemaManager()     at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WebServices.ResourceManager..ctor(UniqueIdentifier resourceIdentifier, String typeName, String[] attributeNames, CultureInfo locale, Boolean includePermissionHints, TimeZoneInfo localTimeZone)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.Synchronization.MAConfiguration..ctor(Guid resourceIdentifier)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob.CreateSteps()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob.Execute()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationJob.Execute(SPJobState jobState)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerJobInvokeInternal.Invoke(SPJobDefinition jd, Guid targetInstanceId, Boolean isTimerService, Int32& result)

The funny thing is, I used the same procedure on my development and staging environments, and it all went fine.

Any ideas?

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:20 AM

Answers

• What happened was there are two Forefront services and even though within SharePoint it said UPS was running, in truth one wasn't. A manual start of that via services.msc fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by GJCanon Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:13 PM
    Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:13 PM
  • This usually means a few things:

User Profile Service is not in a Started State

User Profile Service Application and/or Proxy is not in a Started State

User Profile Service Application Proxy is not associated with the Web Application in question

Or, you just may need to perform an iisreset.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:07 AM

All replies

• OK, so it turns out these errors and the behavior are not linked. I've fixed the IE issues but these errors still persist.

Any ideas?

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:55 AM
  • This usually means a few things:

User Profile Service is not in a Started State

User Profile Service Application and/or Proxy is not in a Started State

User Profile Service Application Proxy is not associated with the Web Application in question

Or, you just may need to perform an iisreset.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:07 AM
  • Did Trevor's answer help you? I am having the same EXACT error which occurs on both vms in my WFE pair (load balanced). The error is constant and occurs every single minute of the day, so you can image I have over 300 events before noon on both machines.

The User Profile Service is running/automatic. In Central Admin the User Profiles Service Application and Application Proxy are both started.

I am going to check on "User Profile Service Application Proxy is not associated with the Web Application in question" and post the results.

Also, what "IE issues" did you fix?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, March 06, 2014 6:20 PM
  • What happened was there are two Forefront services and even though within SharePoint it said UPS was running, in truth one wasn't. A manual start of that via services.msc fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by GJCanon Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:13 PM
    Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:13 PM
  • Perfect, as I was wondering if it had to do with FIM. I found many articles that said some aspect of UPS was the issue, then other articles pointing to FIM services not being started. Lastly, I also found an article that stated that the farm account not being configured correctly (permissions) could also be a reason why FIM is not automatically started and why UPS is not actually running. I think your answer here has closed that loop for me. Thank you for replying!
    Friday, March 07, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having this problem. both the FIM services have started and I seems to be having this issue every minutes that I had to disable a time job User Profile service application - system job to manage user profile synchronization. Here are the logs that I grab from it

03/21/2014 17:17:16.87 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x1510)                   0x0BC0 SharePoint Foundation         Timer                         6398 Critical The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob (ID 99eaf827-b143-4272-b405-eebd21243c21) threw an exception. More information is included below.  Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. af617f9c-e348-a052-58c5-12d2988a2262

03/21/2014 17:17:16.87 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x1510)                   0x0BC0 SharePoint Foundation         Timer                         72ae Unexpected Exception stack trace:    at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob.CreateSteps()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob.Execute()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationJob.Execute(SPJobState jobState)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerJobInvokeInternal.Invoke(SPJobDefinition jd, Guid targetInstanceId, Boolean isTimerService, Int32& result) af617f9c-e348-a052-58c5-12d2988a2262

FYI, we had setup an account specifically to read replication of the AD instead of using a farm account due to company's policy. This is message keeps popping out in our event logs that our server admin wanted us to stop the timer for the time being. Please help

Friday, March 21, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Restart the User Profile Synchronisation service from Services on Server under central administration. This will resolve the issue.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:58 AM