none
Upgrade to windows 10 Enterprise stuck in 100% Complete RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

I’m upgrading my laptop to Windows 10 Enterprise. Below is the process that I followed:

1. My laptop had Windows 10 Pro.

2. Clicked Change product key or upgrade your edition on Windows.

3. Entered a valid Windows 10 Enterprise key.

4. Process started normally.

5. It’s stuck in Preparing for upgrade. 100% complete for around 16 hours.

Now, I really wonder what should I do now. What are your suggestions? How should I proceed from here? It’s already been more than 16 hours. Should I kill this process or wait? Will killing has any negative effects?

Thanks

Monday, February 1, 2016 5:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may very well have trashed your system as upgrading from Windows 10 Professional to Windows 10 Enterprise is not a Microsoft approved method.  Windows 10 Enterprise requires a clean install of the system.

You will have to make your own decision about how to proceed.

Monday, February 1, 2016 8:22 PM
  • But I only entered the Windows 10 Enterprise key there and it took and started upgrading. It should not have taken the key in the first place. Right?
    Monday, February 1, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Yes, you have to clean install Ent edition. 

As of now, you can format and reinstall. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 1, 2016 9:21 PM
  • It seems to be upgraded successfully.

1. I killed the changepk.exe process
    2. Restarted the machine. It showed Upgrade successful.
    3. Checked About your PC -> Edition. It shows Windows 10 Enterprise.

Any way to verify. Everything seems to be working fine.

Monday, February 1, 2016 10:09 PM
  • use command : slmgr /dlv

Probably a reboot !!

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 1, 2016 10:23 PM
  • Also, check for proper version and status. 

Monday, February 1, 2016 10:33 PM
  • Software licensing service version: 10.0.10240.16384
    Name: Windows(R), Enterprise edition Description: Windows(R) Operating System,
    <<Other fields>>
    License Status: Licensed
    <<Other fields>>

I have already rebooted. Seems like it worked. 

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 12:52 AM
    <<Other fields>>
    <<Other fields>>

Just be prepared for unusual problems in the future.

People who tried this before usually had significant problems later that could not be explained or fixed and had to wipe their system clean and start over.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 1:27 PM
  • Ok... No option now.. Hoping for the best .

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:39 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your problem has been fixed. Thanks for your sharing, it may help other users who meet with the same scenario.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:59 AM
  • This happened to me as well on on an upgrade from Win10 Home to Win10 Pro:  stalled at 100%.

Resource monitor, killing the changepk process -> this got rid of the stalled blue window.

Restarting, was fine.  Shows Windows Edition correctly now.  

Thanks

Monday, October 30, 2017 5:40 PM
    <<Other fields>>
    <<Other fields>>

Just be prepared for unusual problems in the future.

People who tried this before usually had significant problems later that could not be explained or fixed and had to wipe their system clean and start over.

Sorry but I'm dying here / can't resist: "significant problems later that could not be explained"  ... and here I always thought the cause was simply installing windows. :)

My personal experience is that it gets stuck at multiple points. And, this is funny but it does work. Simple try and select / make active the Activation window behind and/or move the upgrade window around etc. It's goofy, but within 30 seconds without fail it comes to life and continues.
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:09 AM