none
The file "file name" is not checked out.

Question

• One of my user received the above error...
    The system says he's in although he's not....
    I tried to delete the file and upload again...Unfortunately, i can't delete....
    Please help....Tried to google unable to find any answer....:(

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:43 AM (SharePoint) removed
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Rasheen,

If a user goes to edit a file in a document library and they receive the error "The file 'file name' is not checked out.", this can be caused because the site collection administrator or someone with admin rights on the site went into the document library settings and clicked on "Versioning Settings" and filled in the "Yes" radio button to "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?"

One way to resolve this is to make sure the user has contributor rights to the document library, and have them check out the file before working on it. 

Another way to resolve this is to go to the Document Library Settings and make sure the "No" radio button is filled in to "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?"

Hopefully that helps.

Sincerely,

Karl
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:32 PM

All replies

• Please give more details.

Which SharePoint.

Which Browser

Which office version on the user's PC

What kind of files

When exactly is this message coming.

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Sharepoint 2007

Browser - IE7.0 and IE6.0 (2 users)

Office version - 2003

It's xls sheet.

The exact message was "The file 'file name' is not checked out. "
    Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.

It's kinda funny althg he's not in....Please assist....

Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Any update regarding my issue?
    It's getting urgent from my end and I can't find any solution...:-(
    Anyone with suggestion or solution...please assist....
    Really do appreaciate that...

Kr

Rasheen M

Friday, April 24, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Hi Rasheen,

If a user goes to edit a file in a document library and they receive the error "The file 'file name' is not checked out.", this can be caused because the site collection administrator or someone with admin rights on the site went into the document library settings and clicked on "Versioning Settings" and filled in the "Yes" radio button to "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?"

One way to resolve this is to make sure the user has contributor rights to the document library, and have them check out the file before working on it. 

Another way to resolve this is to go to the Document Library Settings and make sure the "No" radio button is filled in to "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited?"

Hopefully that helps.

Sincerely,

Karl
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:32 PM
  • This totally worked. Luckily I dont have a million doc libraries yet. I only have 2 major ones and "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited" was checked. I disabled it and then Designer published correctly (from remote to local). I want this enabled on a day to day basis. It does not seem right that I would have to go through ALL my libraries and disable this JUST to publish from Designer. Any ideas?
    Friday, June 05, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Hi Rasheen,

One of my users had the same problem today.
    I tried "Part4theChords" resolution without result.

After checking the file in SharePoint Designer it saw that the file was still checked out (this is not shown in the browser window).

This behaviour is caused by a user that checked-in the file but at the same time kept the file open.
    The resolution is to ask the user to check-out the file again, than close the open file, and check-in the file again.

To reproduce and solve the problem I worked with some other users and the resolution worked for all.

Regards
    Ger Aben
    FAM SharePoint
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Hi to all,

In my personal case the solution explained in the previous post doesn't work. I don't know the reason. But I solved it, deeping into SharePoint Content Database.

First of all, it is necessary to know which is the content database where the document library is hosted. Once done it, open MS-SQL Server Management Studio and try to locate the problematic document, for instance, using the name of the file:

SELECT

* FROM AllDocs WHERE LEAFNAME LIKE 'BOM%'

The first column of the result is the unique ID of the document. If you see more details of the document, you will find the following columns: CheckOutUserId, CheckOutDate and CheckOutExpires. You will see some values.

The solution is to UPDATE this record and setting NULL values to these columns, using the following T-SQL command:

UPDATE

ALLDOCS SET CHECKOUTUSERID = NULL, CHECKOUTDATE = NULL, CHECKOUTEXPIRES = NULL

WHERE

ID = 'UniqueIdObtainedInThePreviousSELECTCommand'

This worked for me, but I think it is a bit dangerous to modify values in the SPS database, but I deleted the document, so, I suppose there is no problem.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Hi All,

In case the above doesn't answer your issue, my situation was that I got this same error when trying to check out the file, it wouldn't allow it as it normally does.

Once I turned off require checkout and tried to open the document directly, the real error was presented: I had reached the limit of minor versions on this file (511 in this case), and I had to publish a major version before it would allow me to open.

Once a major version was published, I then turned back on require checkout and it worked as normal.

• Proposed as answer by gpr111 Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:21 AM
  • One possible reason: The document is currently locked by another user.

I encountered this error today in SharePoint 2010 and so I tried to checkout the document. Then system reported error saying "document... currently locked by user xyz". I requested xyz to close / release lock.

And then uploaded the new version successfully without any error.

Thanks,
    Rahul

• Proposed as answer by Sangeetswiss Thursday, April 12, 2018 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, January 03, 2017 1:30 PM
  • Thanks, this worked for me.

Thanks

Sangeet

Thursday, April 12, 2018 11:53 AM