none
What is causing this error :- Restore-SPSite : <nativehr>0x80070003</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack> RRS feed

• Question

• I want to restore a site collection to my staging environment , and when i typed the following power shell command :-

PS H:\> Restore-SPSite http://ggvstg01:12160/discussionforum/GeneralDiscussi
        -Path C:\Users\user\Desktop\Backup\GeneralDiscussion.bak -Force

Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Performing operation "Restore-SPSite" on Target
    "http://ggvstg01:12160/discussionforum/GeneralDiscussion".
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help
    (default is "Y"):y

I will get the following error :-

**Restore-SPSite : <nativehr>0x80070003</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>
    At line:1 char:1
    + Restore-SPSite http://ggvstg01:12160/discussionforum/GeneralDiscussion
    -Pat ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...dletRestoreSite:
       SPCmdletRestoreSite) [Restore-SPSite], DirectoryNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletRestoreS
       ite**

• Edited by johnjohn11 Monday, September 9, 2013 10:45 AM
    Monday, September 9, 2013 10:44 AM

Answers

• Yes, make sure your environments are running the same version.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Hey,

I am not sure if i am late or not.

this error comes for one of the following reasons:

- Backup SharePoint server version is different than the restore server version

- The backup file is corrupted

- The used user account is not having the permission on the content DB for the web application that you want to restore on.

Ahmed Said Moussa SharePoint Consultant

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:48 AM

All replies

• Is "discussionform" a managed path?  Also validate that the path in the -Path value is valid.

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:16 AM
  • Is "discussionform" a managed path?  Also validate that the path in the -Path value is valid.

Yes discussionforum is a manged path. but i am afraid that the problem might be related to the farm version differences on both Dev & Staging environment . i am updating my Dev to match the staging version . so could the version differences cause such issues ??. when i run (get-spfarm).buildversion, it give me the following numbers:-

• On the Staging :-

Major 15 / Minor 0 /build 4481 / Revision 1005

• While on development the numbers are :-

Major 15 / Minor 0 /Build 4420 /Revision 1017.

so can this difference cause the above error?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Yes, make sure your environments are running the same version.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:46 PM
  • I am wondering if anyone noticed but on SharePoint 2013 we have lost a lot of the flexibility in the restore process?

On SharePoint 2010 you could and still can restore from one SP20120 server to a another SP2010 server with a different cumulative update/version, once the destination server (where you trying to restore to) does not have a cumulative update that is pre that of which is installed on the source server. In summary site collection backups would restore to SharePoint servers which has equal or above cumulative updates.

Example of this...

You could..
    1. Backup a site collection from Server A with December 2010 CU and then restore to Server B running July 2011 CU.

2. Backup a site collection from Server A with SharePoint Foundation December 2010 CU and then restore to Server B running SharePoint Server December 2010 CU. (Foundation --> Server)

3. Backup a site collection from Server A with December 2010 CU and then restore to Server B running December 2010 CU. (Identical servers)

You could not...
    Backup a site collection from Server A with July 2011 CU and then restore to Server B running December 2010 CU.

Example 1 & 2 above are no longer available on SharePoint 2013

We do site collection design and stage site collection on our own servers for period of time for our customers. We then use the restore to package the site collection and move it to another on-premise server. We used to keep our server CU as old as possible so that we had great flexibility in the restore process for our customers.

Does anyone know if Microsoft plan to fix this in the future? Thanks.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Hii John,

I had the same problem yesterday. I checked the event log and at that time i was able to see a error saying "Insufficient SQL Database permission for user named domainaame\username". So i logged into the database server and checked the user permissions in the database. So for that particular user "sysadmin" privilege was not given or someone has removed that permission. So i applied the permission and restored the site collection without any problem.

pleae check the below thread also for you to get an idea:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/a4e6fa4f-6af4-4b7f-ab05-2e93e3c1ffe1/restorespsite-force-failed-by-directorynotfoundexception

thanks,

Ammar

• Edited by AmmarBIZ Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:07 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Yes, for SP14 & SP15, if the update Version is not same, the backup/restore will be failed, rebuild environment is a lot of thing...
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:03 PM
  • Hi All!

I received same the error. It appeared that the space on the hard disk at SQL server is low.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:38 AM
  • Hey,

I am not sure if i am late or not.

this error comes for one of the following reasons:

- Backup SharePoint server version is different than the restore server version

- The backup file is corrupted

- The used user account is not having the permission on the content DB for the web application that you want to restore on.

Ahmed Said Moussa SharePoint Consultant

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:48 AM
  • Hi john ,

this is venkat, I am also getting the same issue that having the same versions and on my development and staging I need to move a Site collection to staging. Did you have any solution for this.

thanks in advance...

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:03 AM
  • What is the error in your case and what method you are using to move the site collection between farm?

could you please share the error screen and also the commands, also if you can get the matching entries from ULS for the same time, will help us to identify the issue.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:33 AM
  • SharePoint site collection backup and restore is only supported for a maximum site collection size of 100 GB. For larger site collections, the complete content database must be backed up. If multiple site collections larger than 100 GB are contained in a single content database, backup and restore operations can take a long time and are at risk of failure.

gruss Daniel Ovadia MBSS - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MCNPS

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:24 AM
  • Review if the site collection exist or is on line, some times restores hang and then the site collection original is corrupted. When you try to recover again the site root directory is missing or the site is unavailable then SP-Restore fail with this error.
    • Edited by ej_garcia Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:13 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:07 PM
  • Hi guys,

I am facing to the same issue an I can confirm it's caused by different versions between dev and prod. I am trying to restore from an older version to newer sharepoint.

... and I am just confused that new sharepoint patches are available every month, but when applied you can not restore. WTF???

btw:

- export and import: lost all date and time information for versions; lost running workflow; lost workflow associations

- detach and mount content DB: as I have customized master pages, which are not part of the content DB with particular site collection, you are loosing some custom solutions and personalization -> finnaly it's not working like designed

- backup and restore: you are limited by version compatibility (which is zero incl. missing backwards compatibility)

HOW to migrate content from one farm to another???

Martin

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Ovadia Monday, March 2, 2015 3:04 PM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

As Martin and JBrown said it look like we're (SharePoint experts and admins) loosing an Graal functionality in SharePoint On-Prem, the capability to restore old content DB's on sites with newer versions, almost the same that we have with SQL databases.

Can some of you MS guys come with a explanation to what's happening, are we really doing something wrong or is just that it became unsupported?

Also as you JBrown found a solution or any hint to this problem?

Thanks guys.

Happy SharePointing

JN

• Edited by Joao O Neto Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:35 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:33 PM
  • I get this error when I export a web using Export-SPWeb and then try to import it back using Restore-SPSite.

Try the same file with the Import-SPWeb commandlet

restore-spsite : <nativehr>0x80070003

Thursday, December 17, 2015 2:24 PM
  • Check SP server event viewer log

I got the error even backup and restore on the same farm and I don't have enough CPU / memory as this is my test environment

turned out:

if you see this error

Unknown SQL Exception 121 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.)

most likely system resources are not enough.  in my case Search used up all memory and I have to stop  all search services before running the restore.   one done,  you can start search back on... 

work for me and hope it helps

Swanl

Swanl

Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:43 PM
  • Hello John,

Today I have faced the same error message when I am trying to restore the SPSite from one server to another site in SharePoint 2013 version.

I have logged to the Server with Admin Account. However I searched the ULS logs and found that the Database has In-Sufficient permission to restore it. So I have grant the dbo.owner to Admin Account for the Content Database.

Then added the required parameters to the command and it worked well.

Restore-SPSite -Identity "http://server_name/sites/site_name" -Path "C:\Backup\site_name.bak" -DatabaseServer "SQL" -DatabaseName "SPDB" -Force

I have referred this TechNet Article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748655(v=office.16).aspx

Thanks,

Sandeep Kumar T

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 11:28 AM
  • Possibly I see three reasons for this error. 

1. SharePoint Environment and patches "http://centralAdmin:2013/_admin/PatchStatus.aspx"

if the version of the SharePoint is different then it will through the same error code.

2. Check the database versions (schema) and the logged-in user has permission for the database (webapplication content database) you are trying to restore.

3.  Check all solutions(wsps) deployed to the webapplication

When it tries to restore the site it will also check for the features.  If any of the feature is missing it will throw the same error.  

Hope this helps you

Livingston

Thursday, June 7, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Resurrecting this old thread: we tried a Backup-SPSite and a Restore-SPSite from 15.0.5153.1000 to 15.0.5172.1000. This post by jbrownetweets suggests this will not work …  can anyone confirm this is still the case in 2019?

ANS: yes it is.

ULS Log:

Could not deserialize site from E:\XXX_Content_DB.bak . Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException:
    Schema version of backup 15.0.5153.1000 does not match current schema version 15.0.5172.1000

We received error:

Restore-SPSite : <nativehr>0x80070003</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>
    At E:\PowerShell\BackupSiteCollection.ps1:8 char:1
    + Restore-SPSite -Identity "https://xxxyyy/sites/jo ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...dletRestoreSite:SPCmdletRestoreSite) [Restore-SPSite], DirectoryNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletRestoreSite

Marcel

Monday, September 30, 2019 4:28 PM