none
List data or blocks being changed on each server in last 24 hours. RRS feed

• Question

• We have a number of servers, and need to list what amount of data or blocks being changed either based on each server or based on drives on each server. what drives or how many drives on each server is various. 

Can experts here please provide me such script?

Thanks!

• Edited by vkky2k Friday, July 10, 2020 1:07 AM
    Friday, July 10, 2020 12:55 AM

All replies

• Please carefully read all of the following links before posting.

Please carefully review the following links to set your expectation for posting in technical forums.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, July 10, 2020 1:16 AM
  • I am looking for a Window command, and it can tell me the amount of changed data/blocks in last 24 hours across entire drives on a server. I know "FORFILES /D", but it only can list files being changed, not only the portion being being changed. 

Can I ask for such command here?

Thanks,

Friday, July 10, 2020 1:42 PM
  • This is a PowerShell forum and not a batch or system utilities forum.  We do not write scripts for you.  We can only answer questions about a script you are writing.

Please contact a consultant or others in you organization to help you with this.

This is not an end user forum.  It is for trained technicians using PowerShell.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, July 10, 2020 4:39 PM
  • For you to get that information you'd need something very close to the file system. PerfMon comes to mind, but that seems to be impractical since you only want to know how many "something" changed (i.e. were written).

For that, you'd probably be looking at a file system filter. That's not something to be written in PowerShell, or by an inexperienced programmer in any language! I'm not even sure that it's practical because to record the changes you'd have to generate your own I/O events which would add to the count!

You might find something that uses SNMP to monitor disc i/o, though. It's not uncommon for *nix machines. I suspect you'll be more likely to find this (possibly for free) than anything else.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange Ex-MVP (16 years)

Friday, July 10, 2020 7:34 PM