none
EFI accidentally resized and formatted, How can i recover this boot partition?

Question

• Hello, I was doing some disk management but accidentally resized and formatted the EFI partition. I tried repairing using disk image but it wasn't able to fix it. so I installed Windows 8.1 (same OS I was using) in an unallocated partition in the same disk. So right now I'm able to access my disks and personal files. then I tried using MiniTool Partition Wizard to recover partition but also didn't work. since I'm able to access my old windows data files, can I do anything to get the EFI data back? Or does system restore points I created earlier solve this problem?

Thank You!

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you have reinstalled the Windows 8.1, the EFI partition has been recreated during the setup process, so that you can boot up right now. By default, there is no personal data in EFI partition, which leads your device boot. So you don't have to recover the EFI partition and as I know, system restore can't help to recover the data in EFI partition. It can only revert the system files, registry, installed applications.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:43 AM
  • so since I have EFI partition, how can I change the OS boot partition from the current (temporary installed OS) to my actual OS that I have all my programs installed and customized? knowing that temporary installed OS is in C: whereas my wanted OS is in the D:

Thank you vivian_Zhou,

• Edited by Yousef,js Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:50 PM
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your situation, it is suggested that you can use the media to boot into Windows Recovery Environment, and go to Command Prompt, type the following command to repair the boot configuration data:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /scanos

bootrec /rebuildbcd

After that, reboot your previous system to see if it works.

Since you can't boot into the previous system, you can use the d: drive as a data drive. Your data and programs can be accessed from Explorer.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 5, 2018 7:39 AM
  • Hi,

What is going on?

Any updates?

Monday, January 8, 2018 2:20 AM