none
post 1903 conversion disk cleanup defect RRS feed

• Question

• I'm converting many PCs to WinX 1903. I have only one unit post 1903 where "Disk Cleanup" will not run. I even went to the folder and executed as normal and as admin. Disk Cleanup will not run. 

I need to delete the 40 gig Windows.old. It still works on all of the other post 1903.

Manually deleting windows.old will result in orpan directories that can not be deleted. OS says it does not exist, yet file explorer says it does. I have a few systems with this lost dir.

Thanks,

Kurt

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:30 PM

Answers

• It turns out that Disk CleanUp does run after 30-45 minutes of waiting. I still consider this a defect, because I can not wait around for it to start. I have 59 other PCs to work on. So far just one PC has this issue out of 60.
    • Marked as answer by Swain IT Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi

Go to the folder and execute as admin then refer to the following link:

What is Windows.old folder and how to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 10

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Besides, if above method is not work, turn to use the Contact Support app on your Start Menu to have an Answer Desk agent help you straighten this out.

Hope can help you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

I am very happy to help you. Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem?  If you think the answer is helpful, please mark it as a reply, which will help more users get valid information.

Have a nice day=.=

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:58 AM
  • It turns out that Disk CleanUp does run after 30-45 minutes of waiting. I still consider this a defect, because I can not wait around for it to start. I have 59 other PCs to work on. So far just one PC has this issue out of 60.
    • Marked as answer by Swain IT Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:46 PM
  • Simple enough,in run type: CLEANMGR /SAGESET check all the boxes,exit,return to run,type: CLEANMGR /SAGERUN

Also,R.click on disk clean up icon/check all,then click on More Options tab,scroll to: System Restore & Shadow copies tab,click on it,let clean up run..Also,by R.clicking cmd/run as Administrator/in cmd type:  CLEANMGR

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:49 PM