none
Installation of DPM 2019 stuck at prerequisit check RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction.  I am in the process of installing Data Protection Manager 2019 on a new Server 2016 Install.  I have a remote SQL 2017 server acting as the database with reporting services installed and operational.  During the prerequisites check, I get the following error message:

"SQL Server Management Tools are not installed on this machine. Please install SQL Tools compatible with the installed SQL Server version."

I have installed SQL Management suite on the SQL server, trying versions 16.5, 17.9, and 18.2 (Currently 17.9 is installed).  None seem to register as being installed during the check.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

• Edited by milhaus2070 Monday, August 12, 2019 6:20 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It shouldn't be required to have the SQL Server Management Studio, but it's probably complaining about it missing on the DPM server and not the remote SQL Server.

Also make sure that you have installed the "DPM Remote SQL Prep" on your remote SQL Server:

For more information, check the DpmSetup.log file which is located here:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\DPM\DPMLogs

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, August 12, 2019 7:06 PM
  • Thanks Leon for the reply.  I decided to install SSMS on the DPM server as well just in case that is what it meant, but still had the same issue.  I had previously installed the DPM remote sql prep on the remote server.  I did eventually revert my install to a local SQL server on the DPM server and all installed correctly and it is up and operational.
    • Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:24 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:02 PM
  • The logs should have given some clues, anyways I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out in another way!

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:24 PM