none
Work costs in currency/physical unit RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is there any way to define a work cost per m2 or m3 or m' or whatever physical unit instead of time?

I have a construction plan which has to take into account the cost per unit (the contract is negotiated via $/m3); and furthermore I have to have a connection between a productivity rate and time.

For example, a contract states that every excavated cubic meter of soil costs $40.

To excavate a cubic meter, I need two laborers, an excavator and a dump truck. That workgroup has a work norm of 15 m3/h; so they need 4 hours to excavate 60 m3 and earn $160.

Let's call the task "Earthworks", and the (work) resources are laborer (2), excavator (1), dump truck (1).

Can I state such a connection in MS Project?

The only thing that came to mind to create a material resource called "excavation costs", declare m3 as the units, and enter the unit cost; alongside with other work resourced stated before. The only thing that bugs me - will the duration be halved if I doubled the work force (4 laborers, 2 excavators and 2 dump trucks), with "fixed units" task?

Thanks in advance

Sunday, November 3, 2019 2:55 PM

All replies

• Icanu7 --

Yes, use the Material resource as you have stated.  And yes, the Duration will be cut in half if you double the size of the team assigned to the task.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, November 3, 2019 5:38 PM