none
The Security Token Service is not issuing tokens. The service could be malfunctioning or in a bad state.

Question

• According to another forum i should download a wcf hotfix, but I checked and its installed
    I tried to navigate to the wcf service

http://w2k8-wss2010:36845/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc

36845 is the port of central administration\

I tried without the port
     and then I got this

Error
    An unexpected error has occurred.

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.

Correlation ID: 494c1842-3f4a-4b8b-a155-bdcf7eb10120

Date and Time: 1/27/2011 11:53:48 AM

I checked the eventlog and I found this:
    An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: The server did not provide a meaningful reply; this might be caused by a contract mismatch, a premature session shutdown or an internal server error..

www.sharepoint2010blogger.com Follow me on Twitter <<<
    Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:16 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Hi Luis,

If you encountered errors in the ULS that simulate the following message:

Request for security token failed with exception: System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: The server did not provide a meaningful reply; this might be caused by a contract mismatch, a premature session shutdown or an internal server error.

Or, you encountered the following error in the SharePoint HealthReports(http://<Central Administration>:<port>/Lists/HealthReports/AllItems.aspx)

The Security Token Service is not issuing tokens. The service could be malfunctioning or in a bad state.

It might be caused by the "SharePoint Web Services" site or the "SharePoint Web Services Root" application pool is not running.

In order to solve the issue, please make sure the "SharePoint Web Services" site is running. We can follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Open the Internet Information Server(IIS) management by typing intemgr in RUN.
    2. Make sure the "SharePoint Web Services" site's status is Start. Make sure the "SharePoint Web Services Root" application pool's status is Start.
    3. If the "SharePoint Web Services Root" application pool is not running, please make sure its Identity is correct. Or, view the System Log to check if there is any error related to this issue.

For example, if you find error like below in the System Log:

ISAPI Filter 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_filter.dll' could not be loaded due to a configuration problem. The current configuration only supports loading images built for a AMD64 processor architecture. The data field contains the error number. To learn more about this issue, including how to troubleshooting this kind of processor architecture mismatch error, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=29349.

It is caused by the application pool is running in 64 bit version, however, the ISAPI is 32 bit version. To fix it, open the "SharePoint Web Services" site, double-click "ISAPI Filter", then change the path of filter of ASP.NET_4.0.30319.0 to be 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_filter.dll'.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Friday, February 18, 2011 6:53 AM