none
User profile service - full sync not overwriting changed values RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please clarify what the expected behaviour is when doing a UPS sync. 

I have went into the Manage User Profiles section and modified the manager field. After doing a sync I'd have expected the manager value from AD to have overwritten the value I changed previously. Is this the expected behaviour?

Additionally, are users and groups the only AD objects that can be pulled in by UPS?

Thanks.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:14 PM

Answers

• AS I mentioned above.  SharePoint sync keeps track of when the property was last updated via a sync.  If the property hasn't changed in AD since then it will not overwrite the record in SharePoint.  That is by design. 

When you say the email wasn't getting updated, did you actual look at the email field in SharePoint or were you looking at the email address associated with the user in SharePoint?  They are not the same thing.  The email address for the SharePoint user is actually stored in the user info table.  That is updated when the user is first created and for active users it is also updated by a timer job based on the email address in the Profile.  So I have seen instances where the profile is updating from AD but the user email address isn't

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, May 17, 2013 11:47 AM

All replies

• When you say you changed the manager field I assume you mean you changed it in SharePoint.  If so then you are seeing the expected behavior.  User Profile Sync keeps track of the values that have been synced from AD to SharePoint.  It does not re-sync values that haven't changed in AD since the last time they were synced to SharePoint.  Since you changed it in SharePoint after it was already synced and didn't make changes in AD the value didn't overwrite your changes.  It doesn't sync every value every time.

Not sure I understand what you mean by users and groups.  The Sync pulls any user property from AD that you map against.  In addition it can pull groups to facilitate calculating what AD groups a user is a member of for use in Audiences.  It doesn't really pull the groups, just the membership. What object did you want to pull and what were you going to do with it?

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification - that's what I expected. I will need to set these properties to be non-editable. 

Re. groups and users, I also was thinking of other types of AD objects such as contact objects.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:32 PM
  • if Paul,

In above case if manager is changed, will change made in sharepoint be overwrited during sync?

couple of weeks back i came across situation where email of user in sharepoint was not getting updated from AD during sych. later i deleted the record from sharepoint and run the sych then issue got fixed.

Regards Amit

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:17 AM
  • AS I mentioned above.  SharePoint sync keeps track of when the property was last updated via a sync.  If the property hasn't changed in AD since then it will not overwrite the record in SharePoint.  That is by design. 

When you say the email wasn't getting updated, did you actual look at the email field in SharePoint or were you looking at the email address associated with the user in SharePoint?  They are not the same thing.  The email address for the SharePoint user is actually stored in the user info table.  That is updated when the user is first created and for active users it is also updated by a timer job based on the email address in the Profile.  So I have seen instances where the profile is updating from AD but the user email address isn't

Friday, May 17, 2013 11:47 AM
  • Since AD contact objects don't have a security identifier they don't match up to a user in SharePoint so they aren't synced.  SharePoint users have to be associated with a security principle in AD.

Friday, May 17, 2013 11:49 AM