none
Migrating DFS shares & namespaces to new servers - retiring a namespace along the way - Element Not Found error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currently have two file servers SVR1, SVR2, running 2k R2 that run DFSR, and also host our namespaces.

These are being replaced by SVR3 and SVR4, running 2k16, that will likewise run DFSR, and host our namespaces.

There have been issues in the environment for a long time with DFSR on SVR1 and SVR2, and the decision has been made to start fresh on SVR3 and SVR4 - so DFSR will only run between the new servers.

Here's an example of our environment. I can't comment on the history of these configurations as they predate my time here.

Namespaces

\\domain.com\files

---- Dept1

------ \\SVR3\Dept1 (Folder Target)

------ \\SVR4\Dept1 (Folder Target)

---- Software

------ \\SVR2\Software (Folder Target)

------ \\SVR3\Software (Folder Target)

\\domain.com\software

-- Namespace Servers: SVR1, SVR2

---- No Folders

---- No folder targets

---- The namespace server path says \\SVR1\Software and \\SVR2\Software

I am migrating the \\domain.com\files namespace and data to SVR3 and SVR4, and I want to retire the \\domain.com\software namespace during this process.

I have added SVR3 and SVR4 to the \\domain.com\files namespace, and successfully migrated one of the shares under \files\ to the new servers (Dept1, above)

Now, I am trying to migrate \\domain.com\files\software

One at a time, I removed the namespace servers from \\domain.com\software, ultimately removing the namespace itself. I ran into issues here due to the \\SVR2\Software share being removed, as it was associated both with the \\domain.com\software\ namespace, and with the folder targets under \\domain.com\files\software. Once I re-shared the folder I observed that \\domain.com\files\software was accessible to my Win10 VM on both SVR2 and SVR3.

Now I want to remove referrals to SVR2, and have everyone point to SVR3. But when I disable referrals to either SVR2, or SVR3, I get an 'Element Not Found' error when trying to browse to \\domain.com\files\software.

Here is some data from my test Win10 VM:

With SVR2 referrals enabled - I am able to browse to \\domain.com\files\software

1. Dfsutil cache domain flush
    2. Dfsutil cache referral flush
    3. Browse to \\domain.com\files\software
    4. Dfsutil cache referral shows  

Entry: \SVR1\files\Software
    ShortEntry: \SVR1\files\Software
    Expires in 288 seconds
    UseCount: 2 Type:0x1 ( DFS )
       0:[\SRV2\Software] AccessStatus: 0 ( ACTIVE TARGETSET )
       1:[\SVR3\Software]

With SVR2 referrals disabled, I get an 'Element Not Found' error when I browse to \\domain.com\files\software

1. Dfsutil cache domain flush
    2. Dfsutil cache referral flush
    3. Browse to \\domain.com\files\software
    4. Receive the 'Element Not Found' error
    5. Dfsutil cache referral shows  

Entry: \SVR4.domain.com\files\Software
    ShortEntry: \SVR4.domain.com\files\Software
    Expires in 272 seconds
    UseCount: 0 Type:0x10 ( OUTSIDE_MY_DOM )
       0:[\SVR3\Software] ( TARGETSET )

I haven't found a lot on the OUTSIDE_MY_DOM flag, aside from a few TechNet posts saying "This indicates that the link target is a path in a domain-based namespace, rather than the physical shared folder".

This made me think it was trying to refer me to the old \\domain.com\software namespace, but I do not see any artifacts within DFS-configuration via ADSI Edit, nor under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DFS\Roots\domainV2 on the file servers.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

• Edited by njsuuronen Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:11 PM formatting
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:09 PM

Answers

• I think this has been resolved. Looking into the results I posted for DFSDIAG /TestSites, I checked again using ADSI Edit and I found that the Software folder had the following set:

msDFS-Propertiesv2
    State = okay
    Interlink = on

I removed 'Interlink = on' and things started working as expected. I re-ran the DFSDIAG /TestSites command and the DFS meta data warnings cleared up as well.

Based on this, I expect your suggestion of deleting and recreating the entire namespace folder also would have resolved the problem.

• Marked as answer by njsuuronen Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:13 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further , it will be appreciated if you can clarify the following questions:

Are the new namespace server working well ?

Did all the date and resource are both transferred to the new server(server 3)? 

If yes, i would recommend you delete the link folder Software under the  \\domain.com\files, and then link the target to the new server 3.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:29 AM
  • Hi Fan,

Thanks for the response, sorry about the formatting above, I'm unable to edit the post to make it more readable.

- The new namespace servers are working as expected.
    - All the data was copied to SVR3

Right now, if I disable \\domain.com\files\software referrals to either SVR2, or SVR3, I receive 'Element not found' errors.

To make sure I'm on the same page, your suggestion is to:

• Delete \\domain.com\files\Software entirely (not just the folder targets below that)
    • Recreate \\domain.com\files\Software with only the SVR3 folder target

Is this correct?

Thanks

Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:15 PM
  • I edited the original post, hopefully making it a bit more readable.

I've also reviewed this post which seems to describe exactly what I am seeing, but I do not understand the solution proposed in the thread (don't have the ability to post links yet): https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5078f453-6784-4678-95c8-555baf7fcb44/dfs-problem-accessing-folder-target?forum=winserverfiles

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:19 PM
  • Furthermore, I ran

DFSDIAG /TestSites /DFSPath:\\domain.com\files\software /full

Starting TestSites...
    Information: Use the /recurse option for interlinks.
    Finished TestSites.

Attempting this with /recurse instead leads to an error that it is unable to access the DFS metadata.

According to the page below, "Distributed File System (DFS) interlink: A special form of DFS link whose link target is a DFS domain-based namespace."

So it seems that it is trying to redirect me to the recently deleted \\domain.com\software namespace.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-dfsnm/a9bc4403-a862-48b9-b99b-1b44a887d177#gt_ebaa4758-1010-49c9-b924-7fec6e4f2306

Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, that's what i am meaning.

Or you can consider delete all target folder (server 3 and server 2) for \\domain.com\files\software  ,then add server 3 as target again .

If this won't work, i would recommend you recreate the folder Software  under  the DFS root \\domain.com\files.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:28 AM
  • Removing all the folder targets will also delete the namespace folder itself - so the steps you describe are one in the same. I'll see about giving that a shot and report back.

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

It will be appreciated  for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Fan

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:42 AM
  • Hi Fan,

I haven't been gotten to recreating the folder yet.

Before doing that I have been trying to troubleshoot the results of 'dfsdiag /TestSites /DFSPath:\\domain.com\files /full /recurse' in which I see:

Warning: Unable to access the DFS metadata for the following namespace: \\SVR2\SoftwareShare
    Warning: The following DFS path is inaccessible and will not be tested again. \\SVR2\SoftwareShare
    Error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Warning: Unable to access the DFS metadata for the following namespace: \\SVR3\SoftwareShare
    Warning: The following DFS path is inaccessible and will not be tested again. \\SVR3\SoftwareShare
    Error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas on that?

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:33 PM
  • I think this has been resolved. Looking into the results I posted for DFSDIAG /TestSites, I checked again using ADSI Edit and I found that the Software folder had the following set:

msDFS-Propertiesv2
    State = okay
    Interlink = on

I removed 'Interlink = on' and things started working as expected. I re-ran the DFSDIAG /TestSites command and the DFS meta data warnings cleared up as well.

Based on this, I expect your suggestion of deleting and recreating the entire namespace folder also would have resolved the problem.

• Marked as answer by njsuuronen Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:13 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:43 AM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that you have solved this issue .

In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum and you can mark your solution as answers as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Fan

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 1:34 AM