none
File is an unsupported RP RRS feed

• Question

• I am using azure file sync with tiering enabled
    I am getting spammed with hundread of these logs per second:

Tiering Result for ServerEndpointName:xxx , SessionId: {xxx}, VolumeGuid:{xxx}, ReplicaId:{xxx},
    FileId: 0x0:0x100000011d98a, 
    Operation: Ghosting, ErrorCode:-2134375838,Error:0x80c80262 - File is an unsupported RP

Can't find any documentation about this error.

• Edited by CSICSI Thursday, August 29, 2019 5:50 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 5:50 PM

All replies

•  "ErrorCode:-2134375838, Error:0x80c80262 - File is an unsupported RP."  which means the files with unsupported reparse points. And by default, files with unsupported reparse points will never be tiered .

A reparse point is a special pointer for use by a file system filter. Azure File Sync uses reparse points to define to the Azure File Sync file system filter (StorageSync.sys) the cloud location where the file is stored. This supports seamless access. Users won't need to know that Azure File Sync is being used or how to get access to the file in your Azure file share. When a file is fully recalled, Azure File Sync removes the reparse point from the file.

Use fsutil to check for reparse points on a file. A tiered file always has a reparse point set. A reparse pointer is a special pointer for the Azure File Sync file system filter (StorageSync.sys). To check whether a file has a reparse point, in an elevated Command Prompt or PowerShell window, run the fsutil utility:     fsutil reparsepoint query <your-file-name>

If the file has a reparse point, you can expect to see Reparse Tag Value: 0x8000001e. This hexadecimal value is the reparse point value that is owned by Azure File Sync. The output also contains the reparse data that represents the path to your file on your Azure file share.

Please let me know the output of the fsutil reparsepoint query. For more information, please see below document. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-sync-cloud-tiering 

There are more details on our documentation site here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-sync-cloud-tiering#how-can-i-tell-whether-a-file-has-been-tiered   It explains more about what’s a reparse point is...

"Can you try to restart the Server" and check for the status?

Additional information: A file I want to use has been tiered. How can I recall the file to disk to use it locally?

• The easiest way to recall a file to disk is to open the file. The Azure File Sync file system filter (StorageSync.sys) seamlessly downloads the file from your Azure file share without any work on your part. For file types that can be partially read from, such as multimedia or .zip files, opening a file doesn't download the entire file.
    • You also can use PowerShell to force a file to be recalled. This option might be useful if you want to recall multiple files at once, such as all the files in a folder. Open a PowerShell session to the server node where Azure File Sync is installed, and then run the following PowerShell commands:
        ```PowerShell
        Import-Module "C:\Program Files\Azure\StorageSyncAgent\StorageSync.Management.ServerCmdlets.dll"
        Invoke-StorageSyncFileRecall -Path <file-or-directory-to-be-recalled>
        ```

How do I force a file or directory to be tiered?

• When the cloud tiering feature is enabled, cloud tiering automatically tiers files based on last access and modify times to achieve the volume free space percentage specified on the cloud endpoint. Sometimes, though, you might want to manually force a file to tier. This might be useful if you save a large file that you don't intend to use again for a long time, and you want the free space on your volume now to use for other files and folders. You can force tiering by using the following PowerShell commands:
      ```PowerShell
      Import-Module "C:\Program Files\Azure\StorageSyncAgent\StorageSync.Management.ServerCmdlets.dll"
      Invoke-StorageSyncCloudTiering -Path <file-or-directory-to-be-tiered>

Hope this helps!

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Friday, August 30, 2019 4:51 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for your answer. It seems that the error is because some files are deduplicated. 

I tought that cloud tiering was supported on Deduplicated volume.

Friday, August 30, 2019 3:51 PM
  • Data Deduplication information on Azure File Sync

Agent version 5.0.2.0 or newer
    Data Deduplication is supported on volumes with cloud tiering enabled on Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2019. Enabling Data Deduplication on a volume with cloud tiering enabled lets you cache more files on-premises without provisioning more storage.

When Data Deduplication is enabled on a volume with cloud tiering enabled, Dedup optimized files within the server endpoint location will be tiered similar to a normal file based on the cloud tiering policy settings. Once the Dedup optimized files have been tiered, the Data Deduplication garbage collection job will run automatically to reclaim disk space by removing unnecessary chunks that are no longer referenced by other files on the volume.

Note the volume savings only apply to the server; your data in the Azure file share will not be deduped.

To get tiering to work. Some time you need to have a quick reboot on the server.

Hope this helps!

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, September 2, 2019 2:18 AM
  • Server is Windows 2019

I rebooted the server multiple times.

Tiering still now working and , ErrorCode:-2134375838, Error:0x80c80262 - File is an unsupported RP.

Azure File Sync agent is up to date also.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 11:14 AM
  • @CSICSI This may require a deeper investigation, so If you have a support plan, I request you file a support ticket, else please do let us know, we will try and help you get a one-time free technical support. In this case, could you send an email toAzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com referencing this thread. Please mention "ATTN subm" in the subject field and subscription ID. Thank you for your cooperation on this matter and look forward to your reply.

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:45 PM
  • Hello,

We experience the exact same issue.

What was your solution?

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:39 PM