none
Project 2007 Won't show 100% complete RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm running Project 2007 (12.0.6423.1000 SP2 MSO (12.0.6535.5002)) stand-alone on an XP SP2 workstation. I have a 700-line project plan that was ortiginally created in Project 2003 and ported into 2007.

     

    Most of the time, when tasks go 100%, their parent task (activity) correctly shows percent complete. However, I have 2 parents/activities (not top level) that are stuck at 99% complete even though all of their children are at 100% complete.

     

    Why? And more importantly, how do I get these parent tasks to show 100% and get off my displays when I do a Show Incomplete Tasks filter?

     

    The Finish Variance in both cases is a negative number, but I have other tasks in the same situation that work fine.

    Monday, September 13, 2010 4:42 PM

Answers

  • For those of you following this thread -- I took a look at Geoff's file and there was most clearly something amiss.  As Geoff reported, all of the subtasks (milestones) were 100% complete.  The usual methods of fixing corruption had no effect.  Geoff noted that the file had been churned back and forth between 2003 and 2007 several times.  We were both successful correcting the problem by setting one of the subtasks to 0% complete then back to 100%.  All updated successfully.

    Julie

    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:03 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi Geoff,

    You may have one or more milestones that are not 100% complete.  Milestones are fairly easy to overlook because as no one is assigned, no one keeps an eye on them.

    I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get along.

    Julie

    Monday, September 13, 2010 5:15 PM
    Moderator
  • ALL sub-tasks, including milestones are 100% complete.
    Monday, September 13, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Do you have any tasks where % work complete is not 100%.  Any remaining duration?  Is your calculation mode set to automatic?  Does F9 fix the problem?
    Monday, September 13, 2010 5:52 PM
    Moderator
  • Calculations are automatic; F9 has no effect. I will use one of the 2 activities in question as an example. This activity has only 4 tasks.

    All 4 sub-tasks to this activity are 100% complete; they show 100% in the Percent Complete field, and there is a check mark on each of the 4 lines in the very left-most column.

    All 4 are milestones because someone else in another country was managing the tasks themselves. All I needed to know was were they completed by their targeted Finish Date.

    All 4 have negative Finish Variances (they were completed early).

    All 5 lines (activity plus 4 tasks) are numbered sequentially so there are no tasks hidden.

    Here's a paste of the data with the Resource Name changed:

                RADI    <name>    0 days    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    NA    Thu 8/5/10    -24 days    442
                     Develop list of RADI S/W    <name>    0 days    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    0 days   
                     Compare RADI S/W to contract list    <name>    0 days    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    Tue 8/3/10    -22 days    444
                     Compare RADI S/W list to internal list    <name>    0 days    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    Wed 8/4/10    -23 days    445
                     Update official lists accordingly    <name>    0 days    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 7/1/10    Thu 8/5/10    -24 days    446

    The numbers at the end of each line (e.g. 442, 444, etc.) are the Predecessor task IDs

    Monday, September 13, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Hi Geoff,

    If you'd care to, zip the file and send it along by email.  I'll take a look and see if I can see anything unusual. Email to:

    email removed

    Julie

    Monday, September 13, 2010 7:18 PM
    Moderator
  • email on its way. Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:07 PM
  • For those of you following this thread -- I took a look at Geoff's file and there was most clearly something amiss.  As Geoff reported, all of the subtasks (milestones) were 100% complete.  The usual methods of fixing corruption had no effect.  Geoff noted that the file had been churned back and forth between 2003 and 2007 several times.  We were both successful correcting the problem by setting one of the subtasks to 0% complete then back to 100%.  All updated successfully.

    Julie

    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:03 PM
    Moderator