none
"Server is not advertising as a time server" error message while executing dcdiag command on the PDC... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

Please look at the following error messages. As you can see, the PDC emulator does not advertise itself as a time source.

Please note that, the PDC does not have Internet connection, so it cannot sync itself from a reliable external time source.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, July 14, 2019 6:02 AM

Answers

• I manged to solve the problem!

When I checked the AnnounceFlags in the Registry path which you have provided, it showed 5. But when I executed the following command, it was 4:

w32tm /query /configuration

In the output of the above command, it shows (Policy) instead of (Local). So I realized that there should be some policy settings that apply to the DCs in the domain. When I find it and changed it accordingly, the problem solved.

Thanks anyway.

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by R.Alikhani Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by R.Alikhani Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:55 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:54 AM

All replies

• Might check the AnnounceFlags One I just checked is 5 (1 + 4)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config

• 0x00 Not a time server
    • 0x01 Always time server
    • 0x02 Automatic time server
    • 0x04 Always reliable time server
    • 0x08 Automatic reliable time server

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/maweeras/2009/05/08/dcdiag-reports-not-advertising-as-time-server/

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 14, 2019 12:50 PM
  • Hi,

Check the following entries:

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config

Key Name: AnnounceFlags

Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value )

Data: 0x5

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\Type

Key Name: Type

Type: REG_SZ(String Value)

Data: NTP

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:15 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I will check as soon as possible and will reply back...

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:15 AM
  • I manged to solve the problem!

When I checked the AnnounceFlags in the Registry path which you have provided, it showed 5. But when I executed the following command, it was 4:

w32tm /query /configuration

In the output of the above command, it shows (Policy) instead of (Local). So I realized that there should be some policy settings that apply to the DCs in the domain. When I find it and changed it accordingly, the problem solved.

Thanks anyway.

• Edited by R.Alikhani Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by R.Alikhani Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:55 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Sounds good,.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:16 PM