SharePoint 2007 - lost full control of site collection

Question

• We have SharePoint 2007 up and running for a few months.  We have 6 site collections.  Last weekend two of the site collections become read only.  Only two of us are Site Owner with Full Control.

althought, another person and myself are Primany/Seconday Site Collection Administrator.  I verify this by

Central Administration > Application Management > Site Collection Owners.

neither of us can access to the site collection from the web to add pages, to create lists, to add/remove users, or to set permission to the site colletions.

Any idea why, please let us know.  Greatly appreciated.

• Moved by hsalviMicrosoft employee Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:46 PM Moving to Correct Product Forum (From:FAST Search for SharePoint)
    Monday, September 20, 2010 12:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Phi Hoang,

I concur with Serge that it could be because of a reached quota limit. But there could be another possibility I recently had the problem that some sites were somehow set to read only in Central Administration->Application Management->Sitecollection Quotas and Locks without anyone changing anything. As far as I know my colleague was told to reset the cache.ini of the timer job since it was somehow triggert by a job. The procedure is described here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/4f1b3aaf-7173-4151-874b-5740bff4b14f.

Normally you can see that a site is read only if you can only set Siteactions->Site Settings and not Siteactions->Create in the site. To set the site back to read mode go to Central Administration->Application Management->Sitecollection Quotas and Locks and set the site to not locked.

It could also be possible that the SQL Database is in Readonly I think that would also explain the read-only mode.

• Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:41 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hello Phi,

We have been experiencing sporadic issues with our users losing their ability to upload and contribute to lists and libraries. The strange thing is that they still can view the lists and libraries with read permissions assigned to them. Eventually though, their contribute rights come back without any changes to the permissions. Anyone have an idea of why this would be happening?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Is there a quotas an the site and you have reached the maximum size?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263050(office.12).aspx

Or did someone set a web application policy granting read only to your users.  The web application policy overides the SharePoint permissions.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262617(office.12).aspx

Serge

Serge
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hi Phi Hoang,

I concur with Serge that it could be because of a reached quota limit. But there could be another possibility I recently had the problem that some sites were somehow set to read only in Central Administration->Application Management->Sitecollection Quotas and Locks without anyone changing anything. As far as I know my colleague was told to reset the cache.ini of the timer job since it was somehow triggert by a job. The procedure is described here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/4f1b3aaf-7173-4151-874b-5740bff4b14f.

Normally you can see that a site is read only if you can only set Siteactions->Site Settings and not Siteactions->Create in the site. To set the site back to read mode go to Central Administration->Application Management->Sitecollection Quotas and Locks and set the site to not locked.

It could also be possible that the SQL Database is in Readonly I think that would also explain the read-only mode.

• Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:41 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Hi MOSS_Test_Dummy..

This part worked fine for me.. Thanks a Lot!

Vinicius

Vinicius Paluch
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:58 PM