none
Slow, non-responsive or useless

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot my sister's laptop and having a really hard time with Windows 8.1. It is very slow, boot up takes several minutes, and pressing the Windows key pops up an empty screen rather than the Metro desktop so I cannot launch anything. I was planning to replace her hard drive with SSD and upgrade to Windows 10, but even that is now impossible: the free upgrade option is now over, so this machine is stuck with Windows 8.1 unless she invests 166$ just to get Windows 10 or we try a pirated Win10 which suffers from major activation issues. Trying to downgrade to Windows 7 is a real no go. I did that on my parent's machine and the installation took ages because the system spent more than 3 hours installing updates. Moreover, the contrast between selected and unselected menu items is very very bad on Windows 7, making it very hard for me to select anything in menus unlessI use the mouse instead of the keyboard.

I will talk to her about Linux, but I'm pretty sure she won't want to try that, as she saw me struggle with so many minor issues on Linux. I am about to give up and recomend her to buy a Mac. This is driving me insane, as I really really hate Mac's, but at this point, if Windows is such a no go and only newer machines can get Windows 10, I cannot figure out a way out.

Is Windows 8.1 usable if I reinstall it on a SSD, or would only an upgrade to Windows 10 give better performance and stability?

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to use clean boot to boot PC into a clean environment to see if it still need long time to boot into system.

Here is a link for your reference.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Please also check if it can boot into safe mode.

Here are steps:

1. On the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

2. In the Troubleshoot screen, tap or click Advanced options.

3. In the Advanced options screen, tap or click Startup Settings.

4. Press the F4 key on your keyboard, to enable Safe Mode.

If the version of Windows is OEM, you could use OEM media to reinstall when you change the SSD.

If the version of Windows is retail, please check if you have the product key.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I would like to think it separately, i.e. hardware and software (Windows 8.1/10).

(1) hardware:
       SSD is much faster than HDD. So, it is surely a good idea that you will replace HDD with SSD.
       You can create an image of HDD (to be precise, an image of drive/partition), and restore it to a new SSD.
       When you purchase a new SSD, you will find a software bundled with it. It may be a subset of (Acronis) TrueImage.
       But if there are some faults in the HDD, you cannot migrate from HDD to SSD, or you will see the same issue on a new SSD (if migration is done). 

(2) software:
       Windows 10 is stable and easy to use. I recommend Win.10.

(3) about the current issue:
       Anyway, firstly, you need to specify the current issue.
       (a) As Vera Hu mentioned, please do a clean boot and/or boot with safe mode. And check how the issue will be.
       (b) Please do "Error checking" of the HDD.

in File Explorer, right-click on C drive and select Properties...

(c) Do System File Check (command prompt with administrator privilege: "sfc /scannow") 
          Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:45 AM
  • Hi, 

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 1, 2018 7:30 AM
  •  

Hi, 

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 8:05 AM