none
AD consolidation tip RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have to consolidate same AD domains. Let's say I've a target domain -> "target.local". I've an other forest consisting into 2 domains: the FRD is "frd_source.local" the secound one is "other_source.local".

Is it better to perform first an intraforest migration to merge frd_sorce.local togheter with other_source.local. Let's say that at the end of this first task I get only frd_source.local. And the performing an interforest migration to migrate the remaining frd_source.local into target.local

or

Is better to perform two separate interforest migration 1) other_source.local -> target.local 2) frd_source.local -> target.local

thanks

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

• Depends on how much you want to eat at one time.  I would suggest (if i read your post right) that if you want to get down to 1 domain "target.local" that you suck those subdomains up into the main one.  Don't do c to b to a, just c and b to a.  Will save you time and headaches later, also allow you to perform some group and OU housecleaning in the process. (dup accounts/functionality/etc) also if you run into an issue say domain c is not working right, you can at least get b into a, then tackle c, you dont want to have something with c impact b, then compound as you merge to a.
    :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:31 PM
  • I agree with Jason.

If you go with this plan... 1) other_source.local -> target.local 2) frd_source.local -> target.local, each domain is migrated directly to the target, once each.  Otherwise, migrating C --> B --> A, will cause users on the C domain to be migrated twice. 

Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.

anITKB facebook youtube
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Depends on how much you want to eat at one time.  I would suggest (if i read your post right) that if you want to get down to 1 domain "target.local" that you suck those subdomains up into the main one.  Don't do c to b to a, just c and b to a.  Will save you time and headaches later, also allow you to perform some group and OU housecleaning in the process. (dup accounts/functionality/etc) also if you run into an issue say domain c is not working right, you can at least get b into a, then tackle c, you dont want to have something with c impact b, then compound as you merge to a.
    :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:31 PM
  • I agree with Jason.

If you go with this plan... 1) other_source.local -> target.local 2) frd_source.local -> target.local, each domain is migrated directly to the target, once each.  Otherwise, migrating C --> B --> A, will cause users on the C domain to be migrated twice. 

Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.

anITKB facebook youtube
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:37 PM
  • thank you jason
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:22 AM
  • thank you JM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:22 AM