none
SharePoint Dashboards

Question

• I'm planning on building a dashboard in SharePoint MOSS 2007. It needs to show the current status of a number of systems, allowing users to manually update the status as and when required. Initially this could just be a text representation of the status i.e. Good / Bad / Ugly

But I'm hoping to display a graphical representation of the status at some point. Has anyone done anything similar or can they suggest what features of SharePoint may help to achieve this?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:59 PM

All replies

• I can think of 2 quick suggestions

1. Workflow

Create an image library to store the graphics you want to display.  Then in your systems list, create a "hyperlink or picture" column and set the "Format URL as" option to picture.   Then create a sharepoint designer workflow which updates the picture url based on the selection of the drop down of the user.  (in other words, get the url of the picture from the image library where the name of the image is the same as the name of the item in the drop down).

You will then need to create a view of the list incorporating the image field (showing as picture not url).  Add a web part into your page based on the view of the list just created.

2. KPI

You could probably achieve a Red/Amber/Green status view by creating an out of the box KPI list, and adding a KPI item based on your list which can be filtered and calculated on. (you need publishing features turned on for KPI Lists)

Add in the KPI web part which gets its info from the KPI list item you just created.

hope that helps.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:25 PM
  • Yes, I'd looked at KPIs and thought they might do they trick. They sound v flexible as to what you can use them for.

Does SharePoint have any graphing/chart type options available out of the box?

Cheers
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:03 PM
  • In my experience, the only thing you can do is use excel services to serve up graphs etc. but you need enterprise license for that.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:20 PM