none
An error occurred while attempting to bring the resource cluster name online

    Question

  • I have a new 2 server 2008R2 datacenter cluster with hyper-v on it that seems to be working fine except an error under cluster core resources, cluster name that shows as failed. When I try to being it online I get An error occurred while attempting to bring the resource cluster name online. There are a whole bunch of error 1205 and 1069 in the event viewer but the error is so generic it is useless. If I look at more details for the error I get an error code of 0x8007139a the cluster resource could not be brought online by the resource monitor.

    I am fairly new to clusters and pretty much lost at this point. I looked around at those errors and found some stuff on exchange but this is not an exchange cluster. Oddly the cluster seems to work..

    I am not sure if this problem always existed or not since that section is minimized all the time (seems dumb with an error there) the only thing changed recently was the networks they were on. Both nodes see each other on their new network though.

    I would rather not have to trash this cluster since configuring it all was so much fun. It did fail over when I took the "main" machine offline but I noticed this error after this so I'm not sure if that caused it either...

    Monday, November 29, 2010 11:24 PM

Answers

  • Well geez after looking at this Friday and today then posting I figured it out a few minutes later. The answer incase anyone else needs to know was that I had moved networks and the network dependancy had been removed automatically. Once I went into properties under the name section and gave it an IP address in the general tab it all started working again.
    • Marked as answer by C-M Monday, November 29, 2010 11:35 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 11:33 PM

All replies

  • Well geez after looking at this Friday and today then posting I figured it out a few minutes later. The answer incase anyone else needs to know was that I had moved networks and the network dependancy had been removed automatically. Once I went into properties under the name section and gave it an IP address in the general tab it all started working again.
    • Marked as answer by C-M Monday, November 29, 2010 11:35 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Thank you for coming back online and filling in your solution.  You saved me some time :)

     


    ~~~ Mark Orser Pernod Ricard Americas
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 11:20 PM
  • C-M you saved my life not only time :) thank you much
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Not just IP wrong but, in my case, Mask was wrong. Normal mask for our network might be, as an example: 255.240.0.0 (10.x.x.x)

    but, since cluster network may need to communicate with non-10-based IPs outside the 255.240 arena, (i.e. private interfaces or other, broader ranges), then 255.0.0.0 was needed. Will research further, but it would be interesting to know all the specifics.

    tnjman

    Thursday, September 05, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Seven years later the solution still works. I migrate the vm's to a different cluster and then rebooted the host with the affected VM. This got the resources error to vanish and the affected VM was up successfully. 

    Thanks

    Luv

    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 2:22 PM