none
Update an Item in another List with a Workflow in SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SharePoint Designer 2010 and trying to create a Workflow to update an Item in another list when an item in a list is updated.

The Fields will contain the same data, so when one is updated, the other should be also. I tried creating a WF:

• If Current Item:PO# begins with 45
      • Update Item in Procurement Log
      List: Procurement Log

Field: PO #, Value: [%Current Item:PO#]

Find the List Item: (the below fields contain the same data - So I'm assuming those are the "unique identifiers" to match the two items in the two lists?)

Field: IT Tracking #

Value: [%Current Item:Title%]

When I save and publish the WF, nothing happens in my lists - When the PO# is entered in the list, the Procurement Log PO# field is not updated...

Did I enter the WF incorrectly?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:47 PM

Answers

• Hi LLouie13,

Agree with ParthaStartSP. For your original workflow with the condition: PO# begins with 45, this workflow will update item in Procurement Log list only when you are changing an item which its PO# field start with 45. And if current item PO# =/= 45, the workflow will do nothing.

So please remove the condition if you want to update Procurement Log list anytime when a list item changes.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:32 AM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 10:27 AM
  • Based on your above explanation,

The workflow will only update the Procurement Log, if the Current Item title "is Equal to " procurement log.IT Tracking #

Just remove the top condition (Current Item:PO# begins with 45) and test manually providing Current Item title  & procurement log.IT Tracking #  = "Test"

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Please follow the below steps and let me know if you have any quesitons....

1. Have your workflow to be triggered when the Item is changed.

2. I have sequenced the steps in RED numbers in the below screenshots for your to follow...

Step 1:

Step 2:

I hope this helped you!

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:16 PM

All replies

• Could you paste screenshot of the workflow here
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:10 PM
  • I cannot post screenshots until my account is verified... :(
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Based on your above explanation,

The workflow will only update the Procurement Log, if the Current Item title "is Equal to " procurement log.IT Tracking #

Just remove the top condition (Current Item:PO# begins with 45) and test manually providing Current Item title  & procurement log.IT Tracking #  = "Test"

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:34 PM
  • When a field is updated, I want the Procurement Log item to be updated as well. How do I do that?

I removed that top condition, but it's not working. I don't know which condition to use for when an item is updated, then update this item.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Are you looking for any particular field that needs to be compared (Old value compared to new value)?

If this is the case,

It is not possible in SPD just with one List. You can have two lists just to Maintain the previous value and the Current Value of any particular field.

(or)

You can write an event Handler that compares the afterproperties and beforeproperties of any particular field.

Hope this helped!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:53 PM
  • No, not be compared but updated. So both lists have PO# - when the PO# is entered in one list, I want a workflow to update the other list with that PO#.

So basically, just have the ability to update an item with that an item's data to the other list.

I hope this isn't confusing. Thank you for your help :)

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hi LLouie13,

Agree with ParthaStartSP. For your original workflow with the condition: PO# begins with 45, this workflow will update item in Procurement Log list only when you are changing an item which its PO# field start with 45. And if current item PO# =/= 45, the workflow will do nothing.

So please remove the condition if you want to update Procurement Log list anytime when a list item changes.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:32 AM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 10:27 AM
  • I've removed that condition and only have:

If Current Item:Status equals Completed

Update item in Procurement Log

• Find the List Item
    • Field: IT Tracking #
    • Value: [%Current Item:IT Tracking #%]

With the above WF set - it's not updating the Field I have inputted... Am I missing something?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Could you let me know the Unque field in the current list and in the procurement log,

I understand from above, Po#=IT Tracking #, is that correct.

if this is the case, workflow will only update if Po#=IT Tracking # in the procurement log.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:08 PM
  • The Unique Value is correct - they both have IT Tracking #.

If I have a Single Line of Text attribute in a list and when it's updated, I want it to populate that value in an attribute in another list - how can i set that? What value do I select? I've tried "Not empty", "begins with" and it doesn't update.

These values will all begin with 45..... so i tried that. This is PO#. When it's updated in one list, I need it to update the PO# in the Proucrement Log.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Let me confirm the below points...

1. IT tracking # is the Primary Key for both the list?

2. when the IT tracking# is changed in one list you want to update the IT tracking # to another list.?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:46 PM
  • 1. Yes, the IT Tracking # is the primary key

2. No - when the PO# is entered in one list, i need it to update in the other list

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Please follow the below steps and let me know if you have any quesitons....

1. Have your workflow to be triggered when the Item is changed.

2. I have sequenced the steps in RED numbers in the below screenshots for your to follow...

Step 1:

Step 2:

I hope this helped you!

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Hi ParthaStarSp,

I have two List say FirstList and SecondList.

My requirement is to copy items from FirstList to SecondList when any item is created in FirstList now if any column of item in SecondList  modified then that column value should also be modified in first list.

I followed the above post  but unable to get desired result.

Any Idea?

Thanks and Regards

Prem

Friday, January 11, 2013 1:58 PM
  • No... it did not work for me either.

I'm basically looking for automated way to update one field in a different list when the other is updated.

I am able to do this with a dropdown option, but not character text....

Friday, January 11, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Hi Prem,

The above solution with the diagram is not bi-directional, it’s unidirectional. This means, when the data in the list1 is updated, the workflow will update to list2.

To have this bi-directional, you have create two similar workflows like above and associate with List1 & List2 -

-Partha

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Hi

I m new in SharePoint Development. I want to know is it possible to Update the current list item?condition if a particular field value matches.

Ex:

In the list if there is a column "name"

i want if same name enter second time, then instead of add as new item it just update the existing row having same name. so that my list only contain updated value with respect to unique name field.

Thank in advance

Usha 

• Proposed as answer by USHA.SVTS Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:53 AM