WebDAV access agonizingly slow, unreliable, thus unusable RRS feed

• Question

• physical host: Windows 2008 Server Enterprise Full Install 64bit, Hyper-V
    virtual machine Windows 2008 Server Enterprise Full Install 64bit, IIS7
    Only one virtual machine running, plenty of resources, disks for IIS use configured as pass-through.
    No noteworthly load on the servers.

Both servers are stand-alone, in workgroup mode.

I have the WebDAV extension installed on the virtual machine.  I can connect to it via WebDAV just fine (mapped a network drive on my client machine), and initially the file transfer reaches approximately 10MB/s (saturates the client bandwidth).  However, approximately 30-60 seconds into the transfer it stalls, every time.  After a long wait (approximately 120-180 seconds) a message pops up saying that the mapped drive is no longer present.

Client is Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1.  All updates are installed on the servers as well as the client.

If I connect to the very same directory on the server using plain old FTP, I reach consistent transfer rates of about 8MB/s without any interruption of service.

At this time WebDAV access is unusable because the connection is always somehow dropped.  I have no idea where to even begin with troubleshooting this.  Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    • Edited by The German Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:28 AM spelling
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the description, the issue happened on Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1. Please test and check if this issue also exist for other clients, such Windows XP clients.

Meanwhile, you may try downloading and installing the following hotfix for WebDAV on the problematic server to check if it will be helpful.

A hotfix rollup is available for the out-of-band WebDAV module for IIS 7.0

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=955137

If the issue still exists, we need to capture and analyze the network traffic between the client and the server for further research, could you please collect the network trace and send to me?

Network Monitor trace on the client logon to:

Download the NetMon3.1 from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=18b1d59d-f4d8-4213-8d17-2f6dde7d7aac&DisplayLang=en

1. Enable the Capture Filter "IPv4.Address == <ip of the client>" and start capture.

2. Restart one of clients that will contact the WebDAV server.

3. Stop capture and save to *.cap file.

You may send the cap file to tfwst@microsoft.com

Thanks for the co-operation.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the description, the issue happened on Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1. Please test and check if this issue also exist for other clients, such Windows XP clients.

Meanwhile, you may try downloading and installing the following hotfix for WebDAV on the problematic server to check if it will be helpful.

A hotfix rollup is available for the out-of-band WebDAV module for IIS 7.0

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=955137

If the issue still exists, we need to capture and analyze the network traffic between the client and the server for further research, could you please collect the network trace and send to me?

Network Monitor trace on the client logon to:

Download the NetMon3.1 from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=18b1d59d-f4d8-4213-8d17-2f6dde7d7aac&DisplayLang=en

1. Enable the Capture Filter "IPv4.Address == <ip of the client>" and start capture.

2. Restart one of clients that will contact the WebDAV server.

3. Stop capture and save to *.cap file.

You may send the cap file to tfwst@microsoft.com

Thanks for the co-operation.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:47 AM
  • David, thanks for the suggestions.  I applied the Hotfix.  Unfortunately it didn't resolve the issues.
    I did create the network traffic capture and send it on to the address provided.

I will keep posting anything that comes of us looking into this, hopefully others with a similar problem will find whatever we can come up with useful.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 11:55 PM