none
check out dialogue missing

Question

• Hi guys,

I got a problem relating to the check-out dialogue when clicking on a document in the document library. 
    When I click a document there is no such check-out-dialogue. All needed rights are set.
     I'm running Win XP Professional SP3 with Office 2003 SP3 and Sharepoint 2007.

I've set up a virtual machine with same settings and software... after Installing the Sharepoint Supports from the Office 2007 and fixing the IE crash symptom with the kb938888 the dialogue finally shows up. But if we go the same way on our other system this problem isn't solved this way.
    I recognized that the dialogue needs the activeX controls to be activated, but they actually are. Why doesn't  this dialogue appear at all?!
    Anyone an idea? :) .. 

Many thanks in advance for your help  

Flo Schade

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It is by design, when browse a document that requires checkout in an Office 2003 client, there will not have a prompt should ask to check out the file. This is because Office 2003 has no comparable feature to the OWSSUPP.DLL adding that prompts the user to check out a file. Using Office 2007 client is a workaround.

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Friday, February 13, 2009 9:56 AM

All replies

• Javascript enabled?
    If you are using office 2003, do install office 2003 sharepoint support, not 2007.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Thanks for your reply
    javascript is enabled... we first installed the office 2003 sharpoint support.. but only with the office 2007 support the dialogue appears. (on the testing system)

Friday, February 13, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

It is by design, when browse a document that requires checkout in an Office 2003 client, there will not have a prompt should ask to check out the file. This is because Office 2003 has no comparable feature to the OWSSUPP.DLL adding that prompts the user to check out a file. Using Office 2007 client is a workaround.

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Friday, February 13, 2009 9:56 AM
  • thanks for your reply Xue-Mei,

the workaround with office 2007 worked on our testing system but not on the system where we've got the checkout-dialog problem.
    What settings are necessary in the internet options?  We've got Active x activated , scripting on...
    We don't get the reason why this dialogue shows up on our testing-system but not on our other system.

many thanks

Friday, February 13, 2009 2:12 PM