none
Checks before increase Domain / forest functional level RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have a Windows 2003 Domain / forest functional level and are looking to increase this to 2008R2 as we are going to add some Windows 2016 servers (still have a lot of 2008R2 servers at present) are there any caveats I should be aware of before doing this.

As mentioned we still have a lot of 2008 servers which we are gradually phasing out. We are pretty certain they are all R2 however if one is still a 2008 non R2 I presume if I try to upgrade the functional level to R2 it will come up with an warning if there are any non R2 DC's

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:30 AM

All replies

• We are pretty certain they are all R2 however if one is still a 2008 non R2 I presume if I try to upgrade the functional level to R2 it will come up with an warning if there are any non R2 DC's

Probably, but I would recommend double checking the version of your Domain Controllers anyway. 

Upgrading domain/forest functional level in most cases doesn't have any impact, unless if you are using any old or third party software that is somehow related to the current functional level. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 7:34 AM