none
why does the Agent Service default to Manual during installation RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I install SQL Server Agent defaults to a startup state of manual. Why is that?  I have never seen a 'real' install without having Agent being active.

oldmandba

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:16 PM

All replies

• I agree, that is strange IMO. If you open a Uservoice for this, I'll vote on it. Only ms can answer to the question "why". A guess is that Agent isn't available on Express Edition (but it is installed), so to avoid Setup to have condition based on Edition they decided to just have this as manual. Just a guess...

Uservoice: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:52 PM
  • Hi OldManDBA,

You could change start mode of SQL Server Agent to automatic in SQL Server Configuration Manager by right-clicking on SQL Server Agent and clicking on Properties.

In addition, you could configure SQL Server Agent to automatically restart if it should stop unexpectedly.

For more details, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/agent/autostart-sql-server-agent-sql-server-management-studio?view=sql-server-ver15.

Hope this could help you.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 5:39 AM
  • You did not read my question. I know how to set it to start automatically. My question was why do I need to do so? By default it should start automatically and I should be able to stop or turn off the automatic turn on.

oldmandba

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:02 PM
  • Hi OldManDBA,

Sorry, I am not sure why MS decides to leave SQL Server Agent default to manual after installation. And this setting has been like this for many years.

You could submit it to the Microsoft feedback which TiborK has mentioned. This site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:23 AM