none
Application error when access /_layouts/15/Workflow.aspx, Error=Column 'Incoming' does not exist

Question

• Hello,

I have a user that is getting an error when trying to manually start a workflow on a document.  This happens on a few documents in the library but not all of them.

The error happens when clicking the "Workflow" option from the ellipsis.  The user just sees a basic error screen but from the ULS I can see the error below.

Application error when access /_layouts/15/Workflow.aspx, Error=Column 'Incoming' does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.  /subsite1/subsite2/Incoming Materials 
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFieldCollection.GetFieldByInternalName(String strName, Boolean bThrowException)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflow.GetIStatusAsText(Int32 iStatus)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflow.GetIStatusAsHtml(Int32 iStatus)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflow.GetIStatusAsHtml()   
     at ASP._layouts_15_workflow_aspx.__Render__control15(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)   
     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)   
     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)   
     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.AjaxDelta.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter output)   
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.AjaxDelta.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)   
     at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SharePointForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)   
     at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.UnsecuredLayoutsPageBase.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.DeltaPage.RenderToBase(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.DeltaPage.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.UnsecuredLayoutsPageBase.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)   
     at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I have tried two things to resolve this but neither one has worked.

1. I tried re-adding the column and then removing it to see if it would clear that property from the document.  That didn't work.  While the column was added the error was different though.  It was a null reference error.

2. I tried opening the document, inspecting the document, removing all of the document properties and custom XML and then saving the document back to the library.  This also did not work.

If I do step 2 above and I save the document to the library with a new name then it seems to work fine.  However, this document library has versioning turned on and we really don't want to have document history spread between two different documents.

Does anyone have an idea on how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Eric

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Linda,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I tried resetting the configuration cache as you suggested but unfortunately it didn't work.  Often resetting the config cache does fix odd behavior but this time it didn't help.

What was strange about this situation is that out of 293 documents only 23 would exhibit this behavior. So it wasn't like an entire library was acting strange.   As mentioned before I tried clearing the document properties and that also didn't help, but the ULS logs appeared to suggest that there was a column on these 23 documents that didn't exist in the library. I changed the file extension to .zip on the word docs so I could open them up and even in the xml I didn't see any columns with "Incoming" in the name.

Eventually I found a fix though! 

I saved the document library as a template (with no data), created a new list based on the template,  and then moved the faulty 23 documents to the new library.  Once in the new library I was able to view the workflow settings page.  By doing a move I was able to keep all of the document history.  Then I moved the documents back to the original document library and the workflow setting page continued to work after moving them back.

In case anyone else ever needs this tip, the easiest way I have found to move documents in bulk is to use the content and structure tool.  Go to Site Settings -> Content and structure.  Then navigate to the library, highlight the documents to move, select Actions -> Move, and then select the library to move them to.

The content and structure tool is very SharePoint 2007 looking and it does not seem to work in Edge, so I had to use IE to get it to work.  I don't think MS made any updates to it for 2013, so I really hope that it doesn't go away because it seems to be more reliable than other aspects of SP.

Thanks,

Eric

• Marked as answer by Eric Sammann Friday, July 21, 2017 2:39 PM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:30 PM

All replies

• 

Hi Eric,

Please try to clear the configuration cache and re-upload the file, check if the workflow works.

1. Stop the timer service.

2. Delete all the XML files in the config cache. There are loads of XML files that can be found in the folder “%SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\”. Do not delete the folder and Cache.ini file.

3. Back up the Cache.ini file. Edit the “cache.ini” file, set the content to 1. This indicates that all cache settings need to be refreshed. Eventually this value gets automatically updated to another number when the cache is repopulated.

4. Start the timer service.

Here is a blog about how to clear SharePoint configuration cache:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jamesway/2011/05/23/sharepoint-2010-clearing-the-configuration-cache/

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:30 AM
  • Hi Linda,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I tried resetting the configuration cache as you suggested but unfortunately it didn't work.  Often resetting the config cache does fix odd behavior but this time it didn't help.

What was strange about this situation is that out of 293 documents only 23 would exhibit this behavior. So it wasn't like an entire library was acting strange.   As mentioned before I tried clearing the document properties and that also didn't help, but the ULS logs appeared to suggest that there was a column on these 23 documents that didn't exist in the library. I changed the file extension to .zip on the word docs so I could open them up and even in the xml I didn't see any columns with "Incoming" in the name.

Eventually I found a fix though! 

I saved the document library as a template (with no data), created a new list based on the template,  and then moved the faulty 23 documents to the new library.  Once in the new library I was able to view the workflow settings page.  By doing a move I was able to keep all of the document history.  Then I moved the documents back to the original document library and the workflow setting page continued to work after moving them back.

In case anyone else ever needs this tip, the easiest way I have found to move documents in bulk is to use the content and structure tool.  Go to Site Settings -> Content and structure.  Then navigate to the library, highlight the documents to move, select Actions -> Move, and then select the library to move them to.

The content and structure tool is very SharePoint 2007 looking and it does not seem to work in Edge, so I had to use IE to get it to work.  I don't think MS made any updates to it for 2013, so I really hope that it doesn't go away because it seems to be more reliable than other aspects of SP.

Thanks,

Eric

• Marked as answer by Eric Sammann Friday, July 21, 2017 2:39 PM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:30 PM
  • Hi Eric,

I’m glad you have found the fix.

Thanks for your sharing the solution.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 21, 2017 2:11 AM