I can't access my SharePoint subsite after I change to inherit permission from parent

Question

• Hi,

I can't access my subsite after I changed the permission of a document library to inherit from parent.

I could not figure out how to bring it back.

This is how it started when I changed the permission of helpdesk document library by going to the Site Permissions > Actions > Inherit Permissions. A popup box show as "Changing to inherited permissions may prevent you or other users form being able to access this web site. Do you want to continue?". I select Yes....which I should not have done it but I've done this before when I changed the permission of a document library.

Here is my document library location asg-moss/sitedirectory/it/itdocuments/helpdesk.

After I've click to continue, I can't access this subsite location asg-moss/sitedirectory/it and all its underlying subsite.

Here is my URL site:

asg-moss/ (servername root site)

asg-moss/sitedirectory/it (unable to access this subsite and its underlying subsites.)

I have a small farm setup for my SharePoint Server 2007.

Is there a way to restore back this subsite?

Please can anyone help me on this?

Thank You,

Cecilia Carter

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:17 PM Help! removed from subject
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:41 PM

Answers

• Update:

The 500 Internal Server error can also be resolved by re-inheriting the permission levels on the broken site after you have broken them.  So to reiterate the full steps for resolving both the permissions and 500 Internal Server error, are as follows:

From your broken sub-site, go to the '/_layouts/role.aspx' page, then select 'Edit Permission Levels'

Next, from the same page, click the 'Inherit Permission Levels' button. 

Your site should no longer display the 500 Internal Server error nor should you no longer be able to edit permissions.

Hope this helps someone else out there as it took myself and co-worker quite a long while to figure out what had happened and how to resolve.  Of course, any custom permssions on a library or list(or items within those) are completely gone.  But at least you can get to your site and at least re-do permissions.   

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:00 PM

All replies

• Can you login with the Farm administrator account or the Site Collection Administrator?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it!

I can login using my Farm admin account or site collection admin from the top-level site.

But opening this subsite asg-moss/sitedirectory/it gives an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error.

I checked my database server to make that my content are still there under that subsite, and it still exist. I just could not access to it.

I read that changing from unique permission to inherited results to losing groups, users or permission level defined in that subsite. I'm wondering if there is a setting in the central admin or stsadm command to restore it.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Sorry if it sounds like I am repeating myself but can you try the following.

When you try to access your asg-moss/sitedirectory/it you are trying to hit the default.aspx

can you try to access the /_layouts/settings.aspx page?

asg-moss/sitedirectory/it/_layouts/settings.aspx

Also when you get the internal server error try to get the error message from the MOSS log files.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:11 PM
  • When I try to access asg-moss/sitedirectory/it/default.aspx, I get a response of "Cannot complete this action. Please try again." 

The same result when accessing asg-moss/sitedirectory/it/_layouts/settings.aspx page.

Here is error message from MOSS Log files.

05/30/2007 17:05:24.33  w3wp.exe (0x13A8)                        0x11F8 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        8kh7 High     Cannot complete this action.  Please try again. 
    05/30/2007 17:05:24.34  w3wp.exe (0x13A8)                        0x11F8 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        8kh7 High     Cannot complete this action.  Please try again. 
    05/30/2007 17:05:24.34  w3wp.exe (0x13A8)                        0x11F8 Windows SharePoint Services    General                        8kh7 High     Cannot complete this action.  Please try again. 
    05/30/2007 17:05:24.34  w3wp.exe (0x13A8)                        0x11F8 CMS                            Publishing                     8vze Unexpected PortalSiteMapProvider was unable to fetch parent for node at: /SiteDirectory, message: Cannot complete this action.  Please try again., stack trace:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.OpenWebInternal(String bstrUrl, Guid& pguidID, String& pbstrRequestAccessEmail, UInt32& pwebVersion, String& pbstrServerRelativeUrl, UInt32& pnLanguage, UInt32& pnLocale, String& pbstrDefaultTheme, String& pbstrDefaultThemeCSSUrl, String& pbstrAlternateCSSUrl, String& pbstrCustomizedCssFileList, String& pbstrCustomJSUrl, String& pbstrAlternateHeaderUrl, String& pbstrMasterUrl, String& pbstrCustomMasterUrl, String& pbstrSiteLogoUrl, String& pbstrSiteLogoDescription, Object& pvarUser, Boolean& pvarIsAuditor, Int32& plSiteFlags)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitWebPublic()     at Microsoft.SharePo...  

Thanks,

Cecilia

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:26 PM
  • To me it almost sounds like you broke something else and it was just a coincedence that you were changing inheritance.  Just to confirm it is not a permissions issue you follow this blog http://msmvps.com/blogs/shane/archive/2007/01/21/become-administrator-of-the-entire-web-application.aspx on how to make your account administrator of the entire web application. 

From your errors above I don't think this will help but worth a shot.

Shane - SharePoint Help

Thursday, May 31, 2007 4:01 AM
  • What happens when you access /SiteDirectory?
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:32 AM
  • Thank you for your reply! and providing the link above.

I've added my farm admin account in the Policy for Web application with Full Control permission...I followed the instruction from the blog.

But I still get the same error "cannot complete this action. Please try again." when I access the subsite asg-moss/sitedirectory/it/default.aspx

Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:37 AM
  • Thanks again for your reply!

When I access this asg-moss/sitedirectory or asg-moss/sitedirectory/Pages/category.aspx

1. Breadcrumb displays like this Error > Sites

2. When I mouseover on the Error link, this is what it shows

"An error occurred while rendering navigation for requested URL: /SiteDirectory. Exception message: Cannot complete this action. Please try again. Stack trace: at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.OpenWebInternal(String bstrUrl, Guid& pguidID, String& pbstrRequestAccessEmail, UInt32& pwebVersion, String& pbstrServerRelativeUrl, UInt32& pnLanguage, UInt32& pnLocale, String& pbstrDefaultTheme, String& pbstrDefaultThemeCSSUrl, String& pbstrAlternateCSSUrl, String& pbstrCustomizedCssFileList, String& pbstrCustomJSUrl, String& pbstrAlternateHeaderUrl, String& pbstrMasterUrl, String& pbstrCustomMasterUrl..."

3. When I click on View All Site Content (asg-moss/sitedirectory/_layouts/viewlsts.aspx), the breadcrumb is back to normal.

Intranet > Sites > All Site Content

Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:53 AM
  • Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:43 AM
  • Thank you for your reply again... I appreciate it!

Yes, that links work.

When I access that page, the left navigation shows all links without the subsite asg-moss/sitedirectory/it and on the right are the list of sites including asg-moss/sitedirectory/it sites and its underlying subsites.

I then right click on asg-moss/sitedirectory/it and select Manage Permission from the drop down menu. It then brought me to the page that list all the permission of asg-moss/sitedirectory/it, which shows that all permission inherit from parent site and it has an Action menu to Edit Permission or Manage Permission of parent site.

I'm not sure if I should edit asg-moss/sitedirectory/it sites and subsites permission here and not mess up my breadcrumb and quick launch of the parent site asg-moss/pages/default.aspx

Please advise.

Cecilia

Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:06 PM
  • I'm not clear about this.

do you know what table name permissions are stored in the content database? is it stored in the content database or config database?

Thanks,

Cecilia

Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

I was testing different links and I was able to access the All Site Content in one of the subsite.

These are the links I've tried:

1. This link that allows me to restore my IT document Center site using Sharepoint Designer

http://sitename/SiteDirectory/it/itdocuments/_layouts/viewlsts.aspx

2. This link brings me to an error page "Cannot complete this action. Please try again".

http://sitename/SiteDirectory/it/itdocuments/Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx

3. I have tried it with other three subsites using the format link on item #1 but I get the same error like item #2.

I'm glad I got one of the subsites document restored but I still need to access IT Team Site and other three subsites.

Urgh...All I did was inherit from parent the document library under IT Team site and it got me into this trouble.

Does anyone have encounter such a problem?

Cecilia

Friday, June 01, 2007 11:01 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue.  My top-level site works as well as some other subsites, but this particular subsite (ESSM) and it's subsites (all but one out of four) are experiencing the same identical issue.  I can get to the Site Settings for all but the main subsite (http://sitename/ESSM) under the Site Collection site.  No one else has access to this environment and all I did was change a document library to inherit permissions then changed it back to edit permissions so that I didn't have to type the various groups I created.  This was done at a subsite of the ESSM subsite.  I went to a meeting, came back clicked on the breadcrumb link and next thing I see is the "Error" appearing in the Navigation section - left and top.

The other odd thing is that the ESSM subsite is not showing in the Site Content and Structure of the Site Collection site.

I can bring up different Lists and Document Libraries within SharePoint Designer for all subsites under ESSM but nothing for ESSM.

Very frustrating and embarrassing.  I was hoping to go live with this environment next week.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:58 AM
  • I am having this very same issue.  Has anyone found a resolution to this issue?  I opened a ticket with MS but they are saying 24 hour callback.  I am in production now and this is really embarrassing.  I will post the response from my ticket.

Thanks,

Scott

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:42 PM
  • This issue is fixed by MS hotfix re: KB936867

Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:16 PM
  • Thanks, I got the same problem. Now everything is fine after installed the hotfix.

here is the reference about this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937038/en-us (Error message when you try to connect to a site in a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 site collection: "HTTP 500 - Internal server error")

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936867/en-us (Description of the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 hotfix package: May 8, 2007)

https://blogs.technet.com/canisko/rss_tag_wdro_7C01_enie.xml (Forefront Security for SharePoint SP1 Available Now)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E06453B8-B2DD-4177-969C-2F89AA841E11&displaylang=en(Microsoft Forefront Security for SharePoint with Service Pack 1 Download Location)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:55 AM
  • I am having a simliar error.  A Site Owner, tried to inherit their sites permissions from the parent and it appears to have 'broken' a few of the sites that were located beneath that site with the same type of error.  I also noticed that I can no longer turn-on the pulbishing feature on the broken sites. 

However, I can access the site at its 'pages/default.aspx' url, just not the site(so http://site/subsite/ doesnt work, but http://site/subsite/pages/default.asxp does).  The other problem I am seeing is that even though i can get to the site using pages/default.aspx, i can no longer break inheritance on the site from the parent.  When I go to 'edit permissions' in Advanced Permissions, I get a 'cannot complete this action' error. 

Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Please Any one Help !!!!!!!

I am having the same issue on my production sites i am getting "cannot Complete Action " when i try to break inheritance on the subsite

Any input and help would be appreciated  

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:36 PM
  • 1) If you can open in Designer have you tried backing up and restoring to a new empty site?

2) Can you use STSADM to export?  if so, look at the export log file

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:25 PM
  •  

We tried exporting the sites using stsadm and got some rather strange error message in realtion to the sites workflow tasks lists.

"There is no row at position zero"

I tried searching on this error message and can not find a single thing of relevance. 

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Try running a database integrity check

'dbcc checkdb' on the content database. If there are errors, copy the error here.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:01 PM
  •  

Hi Priooz,

We have run the DBCC CHECKDB on the content database.  Unforutnatley(or maybe fortunately), it didnt find any errors.  This is what it returned:

"found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'our-content-db-name'"
    Friday, January 25, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Can you copy the section in the log file where this is occuring?

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:52 PM
  • UPDATE:

We finally learned exactly what causes this to happen.  It it directly caused by inheriting "permission levels" from the parent site.

Ex. http://site/sub-site/broken-site. I inherited permission levels at http://site/sub-site.  Now any site under 'sub-site' I get a 500 Internal Server Error without going directly to the 'default.aspx' and the sites "Permissions" Inheritence on the broken sites can no longer be broken from the parent.  You simply get a 'Cannot Complete this Action' Error.

After some wild guessing, we found a way to get the ability to break permission inheritence on the broken sub-site.  On the broken sub-site, you must first break the 'permission level' inheritence.  To do so, you have to know the URL.  So for our example broken sub-site, we would have to go to http://site/sub-site/broken-site/_layouts/role.aspx then select 'Edit Permission Levels'.

If anyone can shed any light or assistance on how to get the 500 Internal Server error resolved, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Friday, March 14, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Update:

The 500 Internal Server error can also be resolved by re-inheriting the permission levels on the broken site after you have broken them.  So to reiterate the full steps for resolving both the permissions and 500 Internal Server error, are as follows:

From your broken sub-site, go to the '/_layouts/role.aspx' page, then select 'Edit Permission Levels'

Next, from the same page, click the 'Inherit Permission Levels' button. 

Your site should no longer display the 500 Internal Server error nor should you no longer be able to edit permissions.

Hope this helps someone else out there as it took myself and co-worker quite a long while to figure out what had happened and how to resolve.  Of course, any custom permssions on a library or list(or items within those) are completely gone.  But at least you can get to your site and at least re-do permissions.   

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Can anyone give exact steps to reproduce this problem.

I got this problem but unable to re produce it on another sub site.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:13 PM
  • Yea, it took me a while to figure out how to re-produce this as well.

Here are the exact steps:

On a sub-site under your SharePoint site that has unique permissions from the parent, create a new sub-site.

So at http://SharePointSite/Sub-Site(which has unique permissions from http://SharePointSite), create a new site at http://SharePointSite/Sub-Site/SiteThatWillBreak.

When creating the new site, select 'Unique Permission' and any Template(doesnt matter).

Next, setup the new SharePoint Groups for the site(Visitors, Members and Owners).

Now at the Sub-Site level, inherit the "permission levels".

To do so, first goto the Site Settings page of your Sub-Site(http;//SharePointSite/Sub-Site/_layouts/settings.aspx) and then click on the Advanced Permission link beneath the Users and Permissions section.

Next, click the 'Settings' drop-down, and click on 'Permission Levels'.

Finally, click the button that says 'Inherit Permission Levels from Parent Web Site'.

Once you have done this, http://SharePointSite/Sub-Site/SiteThatWillBreak will result in a 500 Internal Server error, unless you specify the 'default.aspx' in the URL(ex: http://SharePointSite/Sub-Site/SiteThatWillBreak/default.aspx) and you will no longer be able to 'Edit Permissions' on the site. 

Hope this helps. 

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Hey ! Thanks  .. I am able to reproduce this using your input

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Exact Step by Step.

1.Open Your Portal Home Page.

2. click my site

3. click site actions -> create

4. click sites and workspaces

5. enter TitleTongue TiedubSiteA, Url: SubSiteA Permission: Use Uniques Permissions Click Create

6. Next Screen Click OK

7. For SubSiteA:click Site Actions -> Site Settings

8. select 'Advanced Permissions'

9. Select Settings-> Permission Leveles

10. Click Edite Permission Levels

11. Click OK

12. Click Site Actions -> Create

13. Click Sites And Workspaces

14. enter TitleTongue TiedubSiteB, Url: SubSiteb Permission: Use Uniques Permissions Click Create

15. Next Screen Click OK

16. For SubSiteA:click Site Actions -> Site Settings

17. select 'Advanced Permissions'

18. Select Settings -> Permission Levels

19. Select 'Inherit Permission Levels from Parent Web Site'

20. Click OK

21. For SubSiteA -> Goto View All Site content

22. Under Sites and Workspaces click on SubSiteB.

23. You get 'HTTP 500 - Internal server error'

Monday, March 31, 2008 1:37 PM
  • I don't know if it helps. I was getting a HTTP 500 error when I try to Sign In. Ever time I click the Sign In button from Internet Explorer, it would throw a HTTP 500 error. The interesting part is that with Firefox it worked fine.

I did a lot of searching on the net, and did not find much to help it, so I started trying different Authentication options in IIS for the SharePoint site. Nothing helped or changed the situation. Next I tried different User Authentication options in Internet Explorer. By changing the User Authentication from Automatic Login with current user, and changing it to Prompt for User Name and password, it worked fine.

It should be noted that my SharePoint server is not in the same domain as my workstation.

Hope this helps everyone.

Brian

Sunday, May 18, 2008 2:03 PM
  • Great! Your help is very appreciated.

I solved the problem.

Thanks

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:36 AM