none
Office Web Apps and Microsoft Office 2010 RC Error validating product Key

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install Office web apps beta on my vm that has Office 2010 RC and SharePoint 2010 RC on Windows Server 2008 R2. The Office web apps installer ask me for the product key, I enter the same product key that I used to activate my Office 2010 RC, but it fails to validate that, I have also tried other keys (beta office 2010) just to get it to install but doesnt let me do it, Any thoughts?

Shahid..

Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:35 AM

Answers

• OK, fair enough, the situation was slightly different as he was on RC of SharePoint, but he was still talking about the Office Web Apps beta and that's where I got the quote I posted.  That said, I have now found the Foundation beta hiding in plain sight and also managed to track down a key for the Office Web Apps beta, I hope it helps anyone else who got as stuck as I did.

http://www.cnblogs.com/pccai/archive/2010/01/24/1655015.html

• Marked as answer by smahmood2554 Friday, April 16, 2010 5:07 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:04 PM

All replies

• Shahid, we cannot openly discuss RC, because it is not a public buid.

Office Web Apps has its own separate key.  If it were the same as Office, then it would not have asked you for a separate one.  Whever you got your software should have given you a separate key just like it did for Visio and SharePoint itself.

Another thing is that Office Web Apps only works right now with SharePoint Foundation in case it matters.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:59 AM
  •  

Hi - I'm in the same position, but just using the beta of Office and the beta of Sharepoint Foundation. 

As these are all public betas in my case, the only product keys I have are the ones that I get on download.  'Wherever you get your software' in my case is the link on MS.com when you download Office Web Apps Beta, which does not supply a key.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=27d81b1c-18ae-4983-8e1c-224bb747eb99&displaylang=en

It gives you the following instructions:

Microsoft Office Web Apps are online companions to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote, enabling people to access and do light editing or sharing of Office documents from virtually anywhere. Business customers licensed for Microsoft Office 2010 through a Volume Licensing program can run Office Web Apps on-premises on a server running Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 or Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010.

Customers who wish to install the Office Web Apps (Beta) should click "download" above, and save the file locally. For detailed instructions as to how to install and activate the Office Web Apps (Beta)​, including the necessary product key please see Deploy Office Web Apps

This last link takes you to a long page which helpfully says:

On the Enter your Product Key page, enter your product key, and then click Continue.

Finally, in the Troubleshooting section at the end of this page:

Problem   When running setup, the product key will not validate.

Solution   Verify you are installing an Office Web Apps version compatible with your version of SharePoint 2010 Products. Office Web Apps Trial Edition cannot be installed on a server with licensed SharePoint 2010 products.

Solution   Verify you have a valid Microsoft Office 2010 volume license.

---

This just leads me in circles.  Also the statement about only working with Foundation seems to be inaccurate, as stated above.  Plus there seems to be no way to get just Foundation Server ias a beta, at least not the open beta, whereas the download for Office Web Apps is open.

Someone needs to tidy this situation up a little and provide what they say they will.

Friday, April 09, 2010 3:20 PM
  • I get my software on MS Connect, and there is a separate key for Office Web Apps.

Also, my comment is accurate about Foundation, because I was not talking about Beta, nor was the OP.  Yes, Foundation was available in Tech Preview, Beta, and RC - I've had it in each build, and I'm running SPF Beta live online right now.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Friday, April 09, 2010 3:35 PM
  • OK, fair enough, the situation was slightly different as he was on RC of SharePoint, but he was still talking about the Office Web Apps beta and that's where I got the quote I posted.  That said, I have now found the Foundation beta hiding in plain sight and also managed to track down a key for the Office Web Apps beta, I hope it helps anyone else who got as stuck as I did.

http://www.cnblogs.com/pccai/archive/2010/01/24/1655015.html

• Marked as answer by smahmood2554 Friday, April 16, 2010 5:07 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Thanks, the Message trust guy, You have the only key that seems to be working, let alone the installer gives the dreaded error that Beta cannot be installed on the RC, its amazing, Office and SharePoint have RC, FAST Search and Web Apps are beta and apparently if someone wants to have Office Apps preview in their FAST Search results, all they can do is wait for MS to come up with the RC of web apps as well!

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:09 PM
  • I Got my office 2010 rc from ms connect, but i cannot gt the right product key, could u help me out. i cannot gt access even though i am a TAP tester

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:46 AM
  • Just for the record, here's the direct link to PDF file to the Microsoft document (from the Microsoft site) which offers the beta license:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/6/A/F6A60461-762B-42C0-931B-2F7828396ABF/Deploy_Office_Web_Apps_SharePoint_Server_2010.doc

Cheers
    Jess

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:44 PM