With SP1 + April 2014 CU, issue converting to claims RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm testing an upgrade to SharePoint 2013 on an environment running on 2012 R2, with the fixed SP1 and April 2014 Cumulative Update. My issue is that, in this farm, I cannot convert any of my classic databases to claims. I run into the following error for every single account that convert-spwebapplication tries to convert:

SPWebApplication '41cdd631-b97d-4d1e-ad46-69d5edf33564', SPContentDatabase '376ece3b-0e55-4020-91a5-cd8a1fc980b5', SPSite 'a8b2c432-e7d4-4684-915a-8e22b744ea32', SPUser '9': Could not get migration data for entity so SKIPPING. Check migrator for further logs. Entity Old Name: '[mydomain\myuser]', Old Key 'S-1-5-21-299502267-1532298954-682003330-416720', New Name: 'i:0#.w|[mydomain\myuser]', New Key ''

This behavior occurs whether I attach a classic mode database to either a classic mode or claims mode web app. I have confirmed that classic auth works fine when the DB is attached to a classic mode web app in SharePoint 2013. It's just that when I run convert-spwebapplication (or any of the various ways to trigger the user conversion to claims) I always get the above error and no one can log in on the claims web app.

I tested this process against a different farm I have running the April 2013 CU and I do not have these issues. That farm is also on Windows Server 2008 R2, so I'm not sure if it's a server OS thing or perhaps something introduced in a later CU or SP1 or what.

Anyone run into this before?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:01 PM

Answers

• This bug is resolved in the June 2014 Cumulative Update.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:06 PM

All replies

• There are major changes in the April 2014 CU with regards to user/group migrations. I would rule the April CU out first and try vanilla SP1.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:33 PM
  • Can you supply more information from the ULS? I created a test Classic Web App and convert it to Claims (with myself as the only user) without issues.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:21 PM
  • And your farm is SP1 and the April CUs?

I get this in the ULS logs (in addition to the above error message which is displayed for each user):

SPWebApplication '41cdd631-b97d-4d1e-ad46-69d5edf33564', SPContentDatabase '376ece3b-0e55-4020-91a5-cd8a1fc980b5': Did not successfully migrate database.

SPWebApplication '41cdd631-b97d-4d1e-ad46-69d5edf33564': Ended migration of web application and errors were reported. Please see log for specifics. Statistics: ContentDatabases '1', Site Collections '126', Users Succeeded '0', Users Failed '14553'.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Yes, it is. There is no other detail in the ULS?

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:59 PM
  • Not that I can see. I also bumped to verbose but didn't notice anything extra. Is your test environment also running Windows Server 2012 R2?
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Yep, but that shouldn't matter as the code for SharePoint is identical between the platforms.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Hmm, crap. In that case, maybe I will just try destroying and recreating the farm. I've looked over all settings I can think of and pretty much everything is just at a default or the same as other farms that are not having these issues. Thanks for testing it on your side.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:28 PM
  • can i ask the guide you follow and the command you are running to convert from classic to claims & migrate user?

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:11 PM
  • I'm using the convert-spwebapplication command. I've also used some others, like the script Steve Peschka has to do individual databases but it all triggers the same stuff and fails. I opened a case with Microsoft on this because I verified that I can take a database, attach it to a farm with SP1/April 2014 CU, and the user migration fails. I can take the same database and attach it to a farm with April 2013 CU and the users migrate successfully. I've also tested successfully against farms with the June 2013 CU and the August 2013 CU. I tested also against a 2nd farm with SP1/2014 CU and it failed there, as well. So something with SP1/April 2014 CU in our environments is off and causes user migration to claims to fail.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:44 PM
  • Just to update this, I have now tested on a farm with only SP1 and I was able to successfully convert a database to claims. I then patched the farm to the April 2014 CU and my next attempt to convert to claims failed. Definitely looking like something in the April CU is causing this for us.
    Friday, May 16, 2014 1:53 PM
  • I'am having the same problem, in the same configuration : Windows 2012 R2+Sharepoint SP1+CU April 14

I can't migrate from windows to claims authentication:

SPUser '786': Could not get migration data for entity so SKIPPING. Check migrator for further logs. Entity Old Name: 'DOMAIN\USER', Old Key 'S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-1683584401-12681', New Name: 'i:0#.w|Domain\User', New Key '' 66fe428c-71df-0002-0fd8-5567df71cf01

I'm going to open a case too.. 

Monday, May 19, 2014 11:28 AM
  • I was able to repro this a few times on a few farms with the April 2014 CU, and I'm currently just awaiting the testing results of our Microsoft Engineer as he is trying to repro this internally.

I also tested again by destroying the farm I had on Windows Server 2012 R2, completely uninstalling SharePoint 2013, reinstalling with the ISO that includes SP1, applying the re-released SP1 package on top of that, and then I was able to successfully convert a database to claims. Hopefully the engineer gets the same results.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:15 PM
  • I'm also having this issue, only I didn't install the April CU. I have SP1, and noticed the issue after installing the MS14-022 patch.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem and, for convert the web application I have the surpise that there is a new option in command (From) with new parameter (Legacy). The command that I have runned is:

Convert-SPWebApplication -Identity "SharePoint WebApp Name" -To Claims -From Legacy -RetainPermissions

After this command the users are not migrated with same errors but…

I can use the command for manual migration:

$utente=Get-SPUser "DOM\username" -Web https://weappurl

Move-SPUser $utente -NewAlias "i:0#.w|DOM\username" -IgnoreSID

The command give me an error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

But all work fine.

My doubt is that the user migration with error, in the future, can give me some problems…

Anyone have idea of solution with Microsoft Calls?

Thanks.

Raffaele

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:23 PM
  • I have noticed this same issue when trying to convert a web app in SharePoint 2013 Foundation 2013. One additional thing I have noticed is there is a new -From parameter in the options for this and have been prompted for a value for this when trying to convert my classic web app to claims.

I have never seen this parameter before now. Can anyone provide some info on what this new parameter accepts? The powershell help doesn't specify any values for this.

Thanks,

BJ

Friday, May 23, 2014 1:24 PM
  • -From accepts Legacy, Claims-Windows, and Claims-Trusted-Default. -To accepts Claims, Claims-Windows, Claims-Trusted-Default, and Claims-SharePoint-Online.

However, this conversion process is completely broken when taking a classic format database from SharePoint 2010 -> 2013.

Trevor Seward

Friday, May 23, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Created a blog post on this issue:

http://thesharepointfarm.com/2014/05/sharepoint-2013-april-2014-cu-claims-conversion-bug/

Trevor Seward

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:04 PM
  • Thanks Trevor for the quick post and response!

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:07 PM
  • I've updated the post with some additional info.

Trevor Seward

Friday, May 23, 2014 6:30 PM
  • Thanks Trevor,

but I don't understand if the manual migration for every user is a valid workaround.

I'm afraid that I can compromise the content database integrity. What's do you think?

I'm waiting Microsoft because the call it's still open!

Bye.

Raffaele

Friday, May 23, 2014 8:42 PM
  • No, a "manual" process is not practical, I would completely agree (and the way I did it is completely unsupported, only for demonstration purposes/debugging the underlying issue). I've also opened a PSS case. I've also confirmed the issue is present in MS14-022.

Right now, I believe your best bet is to use an interim farm running SharePoint 2013 Service Pack 1 or lower (without MS14-022) to perform the Classic -> Claims conversion, then copy your content database to the final farm running the April 2014 CU and/or MS14-022.

Clearly, not the best solution, but right now, honestly your only option until a bug fix is released by the Product Group.

Trevor Seward

Friday, May 23, 2014 8:45 PM
  • My case is still open as well and though I haven't heard back from the results of the tech's farm I would expect word back soon that matches up with everyone else. I can't wait for a fix so I rebuilt my farm at SP1 and all of my conversions are working as expected.
    Friday, May 23, 2014 11:06 PM
  • The MS Support have reproduced the problem and recognize a bug, they are following up the case to another support team to work on a hotfixe..

We choosed to migrate all our Sharepoint 2010 into claims authentication  before sharepoint 2013 migration..

Monday, May 26, 2014 7:42 AM
  • David, can you provide your case #?

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:54 PM
  • Hi Trevor, if you want my open case it's REG:114052211464383
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:29 PM
  • I trevor, my case # is 

REG:114051911452291

Thx

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

Please let us know when there is progress.
    I've planned to migrate next month, but I think that I need to reschedule my migration because of this bug.L

Thanks,

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:29 PM
  • I was just recommended by PSS to use this as a workaround. Convert as normal, and then migrate the users:

# As an interim measure we can use migrateuser command for the users not converted to claims

stsadm -o migrateuser -oldlogin "contoso\test4" -newlogin "i:0#.w|contoso\test4" -ignoresidhistory

# to find the users which are still not converted you can use powershell 

Trevor Seward

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:30 PM
  • I’m going to try this workaround, but with approximately 8000 users, I'm going to have a lot of work J
    Thank you for this fast response!

Johan

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Agreed, not a great workaround, especially if you don't know the users that need to be migrated.

Trevor Seward

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:39 PM
  • This bug is resolved in the June 2014 Cumulative Update.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:06 PM
  • I’ve installed this CU June 2014 update and can convert again to claims.

Thanks!

Johan

Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:17 PM
  • Hi guys,

For us stuck on the April CU, I have written a script to perform the claims migration.

SharePoint 2013 April 2014 CU Claims Conversion Script

Enjoy,

Ivan

Softlanding.ca
    AutoSPInstallerGUI

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:22 PM
  • The only issue with that script is you're migrating across the entire farm. So if an administrator has mixed Claims and Classic Web Applications, users will no longer be able log into the Classic auth'ed Web Applications.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:38 PM