none
Import excel data into SharePoint Calendar

Question

• How to import data from excel sheet, which has title, date, location etc. columns into a SharePoint Calendar(Apple)?  I need the calendar called "Apple" updated each time a data is imported.

I don't want to create a list and then change to view to a Calendar every time. 

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is a workaround to use Access instead of Excel, then we can sync the calendar data with Access file. Here are the detail steps:

1. Go to your calendar, then click Actions > Open with Access. Click OK on popup window, the Microsoft Access open.
    2. Click Publish to SharePoint Site besides Publish Changes, and then select a document library to store the “.accdb” file, click Publish. Or save it to your local computer.
    3. Edit the Access file we created in step2, save the file, then all changes will update to calendar list automatically.
      (We can Import data from Excel to the Access file  by right clicking the calendar table in Access > select Import from Excel.)

Or use Excel Add-in to sync Excel file with SharePoint list.

If anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:13 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is a workaround to use Access instead of Excel, then we can sync the calendar data with Access file. Here are the detail steps:

1. Go to your calendar, then click Actions > Open with Access. Click OK on popup window, the Microsoft Access open.
    2. Click Publish to SharePoint Site besides Publish Changes, and then select a document library to store the “.accdb” file, click Publish. Or save it to your local computer.
    3. Edit the Access file we created in step2, save the file, then all changes will update to calendar list automatically.
      (We can Import data from Excel to the Access file  by right clicking the calendar table in Access > select Import from Excel.)

Or use Excel Add-in to sync Excel file with SharePoint list.

If anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:13 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:53 AM
  • Emir,

I just followed the above instructions. Access was saved in the SP Doc Lib. Then when I opened it the table is a linked list which is the one I want to import data into. So I linked excel on the desktop and tried running an append query the data would not insert.

By the way the linked table/list when opened in MS Access, does not show an active row for data entry. Perhaps this is why the data is not inserted.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Hello,

I'm looking to accomplish something similar. We get an excel export (from an SQL query), and we copy the contents into our SP Calendar, using the Datasheet View. However we have to manually do this everytime the query results update. Are you saying we can connect the query to MS Access and have the SP Calendar update automatically through MS Access?

Also, I need to be able to import the details of the "Recurrence" column to the SP Calendar, however the Calendar only shows a checkbox for the Recurrence column in the Datasheet View. It might be better explained here:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/978595f2-9993-4a44-8df9-baa91fb323b2/importing-recurring-data-into-calendar-list-columns-not-exposed?forum=sharepointgenerallegacy

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:27 PM