SharePoint Designer 2013 Workflow not sending e-mails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, it's me again.

I have a problem with my custom workflow. A simple workflow made in SharePoint Designer 2013 with a "Send Mail" action isn't actually sending any e-mails.

I am able to send mails with SharePoint 2013 with out-of-the-box workflows or alerts when sharing a page. The simple workflow is: Send Mail to TestUser after a new item has been created. 

1) SMTP server has been configured and tested successfully, I am able to send mails
    2) The workflow gets "Completed" status even though I didn't actually receive a mail
    3) I double checked User Profiles and the e-mails are correct (I also checked in Active Directory)
    4) The User Profile Sync. Service is running and I even did a full sync
    5) Out of the box workflows are work perfectly fine

I have no explanation why custom workflows won't send a mail. I can perform other actions like "change workflow status". 

Any help please?

• Edited by Ali Babba Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Ali,

Please check if "send mail" action does not work in both SharePoint workflow 2010 platform and SharePoint 2013 platform.

Please add the actions "log to history" before and after action "send mail" to check if the send mail action is performed.

And you can also add "pause for a duration" before the "send mail" action, see if it could help.

You may also check if there are some related ULS log.

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ali Babba Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:36 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:01 AM

All replies

• Have you tried a hardcoded email address in the "To" field just to check that?
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Yes I have tried that actually. Same result.
    • Edited by Ali Babba Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:28 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:28 AM
  • Hi Ali,

Please check if "send mail" action does not work in both SharePoint workflow 2010 platform and SharePoint 2013 platform.

Please add the actions "log to history" before and after action "send mail" to check if the send mail action is performed.

And you can also add "pause for a duration" before the "send mail" action, see if it could help.

You may also check if there are some related ULS log.

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ali Babba Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:36 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Wow thank you very much. I changed it to the SharePoint 2010 Platform and everything is working fine. Are there significant changes or effects compared to 2013 Portal?
    • Edited by Ali Babba Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:54 AM Formatting
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:36 AM
  • I'm curious why this is a fix. Does that mean that 2013 workflows do not support the Send Mail action?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:07 PM
  • 2013 does support email, but I agree, this is not an answer unless the pause for a duration worked.
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:48 AM
  • 2013 send mail has to have the recipients be either a user who has permission in the site, or a SharePoint group.

AD groups don't work.

-Westley

Monday, October 10, 2016 11:25 PM