none
Issue with patch installation when service in manual state RRS feed

• Question

• We have a scenario, Windows update service is in manual(triggered) state and generally we push patches using WSUS. We have schedule defined so patches are installed at particular time of day.

We recently pushed some patch using SCCM before patches can be pushed using WSUS, but we saw the patch pushed using SCCM was installed and patches which were pushed using WSUS were downloaded but not installed.

The patches were installed next day. 

But when we changed the start type for windows Update service to Automatic then all patches were installed.

Can someone help me understand when in first scenario patches are installed in two days be second in one day.

Friday, January 25, 2019 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, Windows services (the basic utilities integrated with Windows running primarily in the background) traditionally have two options to run:

1. Start when the computer starts ("Automatic")
    2. Run only when the user or program is explicitly started ("Manual")

In the above two options, the actual execution needs to be performed by using a trigger. So this method may depend on the settings in Computer Config \ Admin Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Update.

In your environment, a plan is defined to install patches at a specific time each day. Therefore, I suggest that you check the WindowsUpdate.log for a record of the download status of the patch. And confirm the following: At the time of the specified installation, is the update file not yet downloaded? This may be the way in which the two cycles of installation are different.

Read this article for an explanation of WindowsUpdate.log: 
    https://docs.microsoft.com/zh-cn/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-logs

At the same time, I also noticed that you used SCCM for update deployment. It should be noted that WSUS and SCCM are essentially non-conflicting. SCCM itself uses the WSUS service to complete the patch distribution function. The role of SUP (Software Update Point) is installed on the WSUS server and is responsible for SCCM and WSUS services. between interface. In this case, the WSUS server is not independent, but is controlled by the SCCM.

If you need to control WSUS independently, stop SCCM's control of WSUS beforehand.

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 28, 2019 7:26 AM