none
MOSS 2007 Users unable to edit their profile information

Question

• We are running MOSS 2007 and have run into an interesting issue we cannot seem to find an answer for.

Users logged into a MOSS 2007 hosted site are unable to edit their own profile information.

They can see only their account name and that is all.

We have tinkered with the shared services and nothing seems to correct this issue.

Any ideas would be extremely helpful?

Thursday, October 4, 2007 9:01 PM

Answers

• I'd just like to add a footnote to all this...

I have found that...

1.  if the Email address is NOT in the WSS (MySettings) profile then none of the Alerts seem to work.

2.  I installed MOSS after WSS and the new MOSS Profile (My Site) has taken over and the email addresses in WSS (My Settings) disapeared and thusly Alerts again failed to get sent out.

Has anyone else had this experiance...?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:35 PM

All replies

• One day I am going to sit down and understand this one better.  Let me see if my guess about what you are seeing is correct?

If a user clicks Welcom User Name and then clicks My Settings they are taken to a screen where they see their profile info.  Then they click edit item and they can't edit anything.  They just see their account.

Now what is interesting though.  If they go to their My Site and click Describe Yourself they are taken to a screen where they can edit all of the profile info. 

Odd!  I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page before I said I don't know how to deal with this.

Guess it is time to email some PMs and see if one of them can explain it to me.

Shane - SharePoint Help

Thursday, October 4, 2007 10:25 PM
  • Seems to me like the profile isn't resolving to the user, or the user doesn't have a profile.  I'd look at the profiles to make sure this user actually has one and make sure profile import is working.

Let me know if this is a cross forest environment or if the user has more than one NT account.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 10:28 PM
  • I have just recently interacted with this. Here goes:

What I've been able to find out is that the User Profile information is IMPORTED through the SSP, correct? Well, if you create additional properties in the User Profile, the user can interact with them in their My Site.

However, the "People and Groups" list that you get in a MOSS site is just a snapshot copy of the User Profile information that's imported. If you added a property to the User Profile in the SSP, than that will be imported as well. However, in the People and Groups list item which displays when a user clicks "My Settings", they cannot edit any of the columns there.

ALL IS NOT LOST. Let's say you just want to collect some additional information about a user or some profile information for a user just on that MOSS site? You can always ADD COLUMNS to that list which will associate directly to that user. Then programmatically you could go back to that metadata about the user.

I'm not sure why they didn't tie the custom user profile properties to the "My Settings" page, but since the "People and Groups" list is just a list, you can modify it.

By the way, Joel, I had this same problem and I can see that the user has a profile (I am the user) in the User Profile store and I can see that things are resolving correctly - I just can't edit existing or custom properties at all in the "My Settings" - only in the My Site profile settings.

Cale Hoopes

caleh@ascentium.com

Friday, October 5, 2007 4:56 AM
  • May be this will make things clearer

All users including the Sharepoint Administrators are unable to edit personal information after clicking edit on the My settings profile display page.

The page displays all the information about the user but when they click edit all they can see is the domain user account no other information is displayed and no options other than an OK button.

The administrators can edit their personal information from the shared services site on the server and the central administration pages on the server but not from the hosted sites.

Friday, October 5, 2007 7:51 PM
  • Folks - i seriously hope that there is resolution on this issue as it has happened to me also. 

While you may already understand the situation, there is a decent picture-worth-a-thousand-words here.

I thought that this situation was caused by a recent upgrade from WSS V3 to SharePoint Server 2007, but perhaps not.

Thanx, Stephen.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

I came across this thread because I'm experiencing the exact same problem the original poster described. Let me add that I'm currently working on a German MOSS.

Shane Young MVP wrote:

If a user clicks Welcom User Name and then clicks My Settings they are taken to a screen where they see their profile info.  Then they click edit item and they can't edit anything.  They just see their account.

That's almost it in my case. I can see my account AND I can add an attachment as well. But that's it. I cannot change my own personal settings (I've confirmed the problem with at least one other user).

Shane Young MVP wrote:

Now what is interesting though.  If they go to their My Site and click Describe Yourself they are taken to a screen where they can edit all of the profile info. 

I can confirm that this works for me. That solves my problem for now, thanks!

I'm curious to contact one of my colleagues about this tomorrow. I'll post again if he has any new information.

Andreas

Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:15 PM
  • What page are you on? editprofile.aspx?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Okay. I just realized what profile you were looking at. I hope I can help straighten things out...

There are actually 2 user profiles - one is a WSS profile and one is a MOSS profile. The WSS profile you access from Welcome user > My Settings page. The MOSS profiles are created when users are imported into the system from AD or LDAP. They are access from People Search or from a link off of your MySite.

The reason there are 2 is that you can install WSS without MOSS and they wanted a basic user profile. If you installed WSS without MOSS, you would see the profile (again, accessed through Welcome user > My Settings page) with about 3 properties.

If you install MOSS, do an import, and go to the WSS profile, you'll see a bunch of properties added that MOSS adds. We now depricate the WSS profile. If you want to add property values to your profile, you need to go to your MOSS profile from your MySite (MySite > Details). You'll be on the editprofile.aspx page. Add your properties. We then sync your properties to the WSS user list. You will see the values show up on the WSS profile after the sync happens.

I hope this explanation helps.

Thanks,

Rachel

Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:31 PM
  •  

Ok, I follow that. But I have to add that I think it's not realized very well from a user experience point of view. If the MOSS profile is the one that's to be used instead of the WSS one, clicking on Welcome USER/My Settings should bring you straight to the EditProfile page. Anything else is confusing.

It's kind of curious. I think SharePoint re. MOSS is a very powerful, very well realized platform but it's got these little snags here and there that come up when you're least expecting them. At least that's been my experience at times.

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:28 AM
  • Thanx Rachel for the explanation about the duplication and deprication. I will endeavor to keep it away from the rotary oscillator.

Please be advised that while our site, to include an extranet, was built using WSS, and the account/profile information for those external members was maintained in an SQL DB (aspnetdb), and while there were three fields populated initially, all of the fields were editable from the useredit page (this applied to our internal AD users as well). It was very convenient that the users could edit their information themselves.

Once we migrated to SharePoint Server, the useredit page became useless, and now there is no efficient way to edit our external user account/profile information. Actually I'm still trying to figure out how to do any edits at all of our external members, please help. And unless "MySites" are enabled, our internal member's information is not editable from w/in the portal. AND we still need to determine if external members will be able to access/

If we had been aware of this, we probably would not have spent the money for $harePoint $erver licenses!

Friday, October 12, 2007 7:03 PM
  • you can edit the profile from http://<site portal url>/_layout/editprofile.aspx, this will directly edit the MOSS profile.

The profile editing on the WSS site level profile is disabled with MOSS since there is an option to replicate the profile properties directly from the SSP user profile. One would need to provide link to the profile editing page from their site or let user go the their mysites to edit the profile properties available to them.

The page above can also be opened in absence of the mysite for a user.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:31 PM
  •  

So is there a way to edit the my settings link to send them directly to this page.

Also when a user goes to this page the department and work email are tage with the yellow exclamation point warning message and we can seem to get it released so a user can edit the field.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Thanx for the tip about the editprofile page. While I am able to open this page directly, there is no link to it. Additionally, this page will not display at all when logged on as an "external member" (via the aspnetsqlmembershipprovider). Upgrading from WSS V3 to MOSS 2007 must have undone the permissions to this page, and that is not good.

Wassup widdat? 

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:03 PM
  •  

Thanks for the explanation Rachel.

Can you tell me when, or how this "sync" occurs? And whether or not I can manually force this to happen?

I have a situation where an email address was changed in AD, the change is properly reflected in the MOSS user profile, but the WSS profile still shows the old email address.

I have done a full re-import of all user profiles, and have also done a Full Crawl of the site content as well, and WSS still doesn't seem to pick up the changed email address.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:07 PM
  • I too would like to know when or how this "sync" occurs.  I have the same type of thing going on where their Profile in the Profile DB is up to date but their WSS User Info is not. 

Anyone know how to force this sync or why its not happening for me already?

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 7:14 PM
  • I have the same issue "unable to edit the profile"...

I have noticed that I can set the "Work e-mail" in the "Control Administrator" site

BUT

It still does not show the email address in the "My Settings" page

What is up with all these profiles?

Is there a way to sycnronise all the profiles from WSS & SharePoint Server so they read and write together?

Thanks

Phillip S.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:59 PM
  • So let's make it clear. The following is how I understand all the discussion above.

There are two different places to edit your priofile.

The first one is 'WSS-like', which is useredit.aspx. This settings are 'per site', which means that when you edit your info on one site — it is not reflected on other sites. And this is suggested to be used if you have WSS-only setup. But in case of full MOSS installation this should be locked down and not work at all. Or should it really? But anyway, 'My Settings' link brings the user here — and we have no options to change this behaviour.

The second is 'MOSS-like', which is editprofile.aspx. This settings are gloabal, and this is just the same as editing your profile on 'My Site' or importing from directory. And this is suggested to be used if you've installed MOSS. If you have WSS-only setup then you have no such an option at all.

Am I correct with the above statements? If I do, then we can specify the problem which is discussed in this thread. Sometimes (very often in my case) we have a situation in MOSS when useredit.aspx is not locked down. So users begin using it to edit their data. And it's hard to tell why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Monday, May 26, 2008 11:05 AM
  • the profiles in the WSS are automatically synched with MOSS profiles by the 'Profile Synchronization job'.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:32 AM
  • I'd just like to add a footnote to all this...

I have found that...

1.  if the Email address is NOT in the WSS (MySettings) profile then none of the Alerts seem to work.

2.  I installed MOSS after WSS and the new MOSS Profile (My Site) has taken over and the email addresses in WSS (My Settings) disapeared and thusly Alerts again failed to get sent out.

Has anyone else had this experiance...?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:35 PM
  •  Charftong wrote:

I too would like to know when or how this "sync" occurs.  I have the same type of thing going on where their Profile in the Profile DB is up to date but their WSS User Info is not. 

Anyone know how to force this sync or why its not happening for me already?

This is the exact same problem I'm having.

Our installation started with MOSS right from start. Profile import works just fine. But the WSS sites are getting out of sync as our AD changes. I understood there was an stsadm command (stsadm -o sync) that was supposed to force this sync between the two profiles types, but I don't see that happening.

The only way that I've been able to get the WSS profile updated, was to delete the user from the site collection, and re-add him/her. This appears to pull in a fresh copy of SOME parts of the profile, but not all.

Very confusing.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:39 PM
  • I have found that both WSS/MOSS alerts work if the user has e-mail set in AD user account. On the "general" tab of the AD user account you can provide the e-mail. After setting this, you might need to add user to site/site security group again.
    SharePoint/.net programmer
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:29 PM
  • We are seeing the same issue.
    Started off with MOSS2007 and it looks like the 'Profile Synchronization job' is running but we only changes in AD profiles updated in the MOSS User Profile but does not update the WSS profile. Our only work around has been to remove the user from the site collections and then re-adding them.

I would be interested if there was a fix or stsadm command I could run to resolve.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 6:40 PM
  •  
    Hi Phil,

> 1.  if the Email address is NOT in the WSS (MySettings) profile then none of the Alerts seem to work.

Yes, this is a common issue. It is easy to work around this issue by ensuring that the Profile Import has been completed before the users start using SharePoint. It can be a pain to fix after because each site will cache (or Not Cache) the users details.

I have not seen issue 2.

Regards,

James.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 9:30 AM
  •  Rachel, thanks for your posting; I will just like to add that the URL you mention for the editprofile.aspx is misspelled and should be http://<siteurl>_layouts/editprofile.aspx 
    Mohammed
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:12 AM
  • So let's make it clear. The following is how I understand all the discussion above.

There are two different places to edit your priofile.

The first one is 'WSS-like', which is useredit.aspx. This settings are 'per site', which means that when you edit your info on one site — it is not reflected on other sites. And this is suggested to be used if you have WSS-only setup. But in case of full MOSS installation this should be locked down and not work at all. Or should it really? But anyway, 'My Settings' link brings the user here — and we have no options to change this behaviour.

The second is 'MOSS-like', which is editprofile.aspx. This settings are gloabal, and this is just the same as editing your profile on 'My Site' or importing from directory. And this is suggested to be used if you've installed MOSS. If you have WSS-only setup then you have no such an option at all.

Am I correct with the above statements? If I do, then we can specify the problem which is discussed in this thread. Sometimes (very often in my case) we have a situation in MOSS when useredit.aspx is not locked down. So users begin using it to edit their data. And it's hard to tell why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Hi all, In my case, I have not installed AD and adding the user details like email manually. What I found is, in MOSS profile there is no work-email property (or column)and it is present in the WSS profile but unable to edit (useredit.aspx). In shared services user profile all the fields are merged (WSS and MOSS). If I enter the email from shared services edit page, it reflects in the MOSS profile after few hours. But I wish user will not use SSP for this purpose. He will get direct link to his my site MOSS edit profile page(editprofile.aspx) and add the email there. Is there any way to do it ? Another peculiar change I found is after import of the profile from ssp to MOSS profile, I can see the "site directory settings " column added to "My site >site settings > site collection admistration". I cannot see this column without imported user profile from ssp. This could be any hint?
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Hi all,

I think here is answer of this discussion. In MOSS profile if you cannot see some of the properties, you can add it through ssp > user profile and properties > view profile properties  and edit the property by opening the context menu and select the radio button Allow users to edit values for this property. 

himanshu
    • Proposed as answer by DCAVE Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:15 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:53 PM
  • From what I understand, within each sitecollection, is the 'User Information List'; WSS side of the house I believe.  Within this list, are the names of the folks with access to that site/collection.  You can view that list, on each individual site collection, by going to: 

Simple View
    acme.intranet.com/sites/sitecollection/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx

Detailed View
    acme.intranet.com/sites/sitecollection/_catalogs/users/detail.aspx

**NOT RECOMMENDED - BAD JUJU** You can also edit that list I believe in SharePoint Designer, navigate to URL/sites/site collection/_catalogs/users (User Information List)/  You may need to modify the permissions, do so by Right Click On Users (User Information List) -> Properties ->Security Tab ->Click Manage Permissions using the browser **NOT RECOMMENDED - BAD JUJU**

From the MOSS 2007 side of things, are the profiles and profile imports.  The data between the 'MOSS User Profile' and the 'WSS User Information List' are bilaterally synchronized.  For the most part, this process is very transparent to the administrator; until there is a problem. ;)

From my personal and ongoing experience with this issue, there are commonalities between my site collections synchronizing fine and my site collections that don't synchronize.  Again, these are only my experiences both in production and while duplicating the issue on a developement farm.  They are:

1. Site Collections broken out (moved) into new content databases and/or migrated by third party tools such as Metalogix, etc.
    2. Site Collections broken out (moved) via stsadm -o mergecontentdb
        A. In addition, this command has documented issues, please See KB 969242
        B. Database corruption 
    3. Site Collections renamed, i.e. 'ACME Day Shift' to 'ACME Night Shift' versus building out a new site collection to begin with.
    4. Corrupt databases not generating event id records and/or fail to appear the Event Application Log or SQL Logs (suspect pages table has records, however they do not appear in the application log; check SQL Suspect Pages table for each database
    5. SSPs that over time have become high-maintenance or trouble-some.
        A. For example, Event ID 6482.  This event has many, many faces with respect to MOSS.  One day I was unable to access the 'Edit Properties' portion of my SSP; it would present     me with a 'Unknown Exception' error.   At the same time, Excel Services would not start either.  For a couple days I was unable to access the 'edit properties' or 'excel services',       and search began to report failures accessing databases.  In the end, it turned out that a user-id was listed in the SSP Process Accounts that was no longer active.  No matter what I tried, I could not manually remove or add anyone to this group via stsadm.  The sharepoint trace logs showed 'unable to resolve domain\username to a SID', it didn't specify a SID, just that it couldn't resolve the user to a SID.  I simply recreated the user on the domain, and I was in with no problem and Excel Services started right up.  Bill?  How is this relevant!?!?!? It is relevant simply because I recreated this issue on the development farm, and after it was fixed, synchronization was broken.
    6. Content databases not detached properly from MOSS and SQL prior to migration from one storage device to another.
    7. Content databases, that at least one in time, experienced a full transaction log and users were unable to add, delete or modify information if their site collection fell within that       Content Database.

Again, my farm and my issues.  The list of 7 above are how I was able to duplicate the synchronization error, and the farm was rebuilt with new content databases after each time and each item was duplicated 3 times. You may not be able to fix the issue, however perhaps if any of the above apply to you, you can avoid it the next time.

SOLUTION: There is a third-party application that can synchronize the 'User Information List' with the 'Profile Database' Information, it is called Bamboo Solutions - User Profile Sync - v1.4

Unfortunately I refuse to pay for the web part, I prefer to figure out an OTB solution.  If anyone finds one, please let me know.  Until then, I'll report back anything I find.

Be kind, be safe and have an outstanding day!

Monday, May 4, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Another thing you can do is query the content database where the site collection resides in and modify the values you need to. I think it is safe to say that this process will negatively affect the supportability of your product, so do so at your own risk. 

1. Backup your content database before you begin. 
    2. Query against or select the content database the site collection resides in. 

QUERY STRING 
    UPDATE SET = 'Desired value of field' 
    WHERE = 'search value' 

For example, if I wanted to change the display name for someone who is appearing as "ACME\mojo.jojo" in a site collection residing within Main_Content_DB. You would run this query against Main_Content_DB: 

--WARNING! You must include the WHERE statement 
    --to avoid changing all fields in the column to 
    --the 'Desired value of field' 

UPDATE UserInfo 
    SET tp_Title = 'JoJo, Mr. Mojo' 
    WHERE tp_Login = 'ACME\mojo.jojo'; 

Anyhow, you want to include all apostrophes within each statement, the semi-colon, and again make sure you include the WHERE statement. Good luck, and be careful. Again, you are never to edit any SharePoint Content Databases like this; as this will negatively affect the supportability of your product.

Monday, May 4, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same trouble. I got a farm standard MOSS 2007 using FBA (the data source is an Oracle DB), wich prevents all the users from using the MySite features, except the admins who are NT authenticated (we put on two authentication providers, one is NTLM based (unused except for the admins) for accesses from the intranet, the other is Oracle based for the internet accesses).
    From the extranet the users can only log thru the Oracle based authentication provider.
    Before I turned on the MOSS standard services I was able to access the useredit.aspx page in order to modify the user's data (and the user was able to edit his data too).
    It sounds like since I turned on the MOSS standard services for setting up the search engine, the useredit.aspx page has changed to only offer the possibility to attach a file to the user profile without being able to edit the profile.

I have read this thread but none of the solutions provided or recommendations work in my case.

Did the useredit.aspx page changed when turning on the MOSS 2007 standard services? If yes how to 'rollback' without crashing the search engine settings?

At the end of the day what I need is just the useredit.aspx page allowing the user to edit his profile, here the only way to do it is running a request directly on the MSSQL DB, wich is not a solution.

When I try to turn down the MOSS 2007 services the interface warns me that if I do I may loose all the customisations done (I struggle enough with the search engine to avoid crashing all the changes...).

Is there a 'walkaround' in order to allow my users to edit their profgiles? I don't want/need the MySite, I just need the search engine from the MOSS 2007 standard services but I didn't find a way to only activate this feature, without messing the profile edition.

help...
    Monday, December 14, 2009 11:57 AM